Cool ideas to keep you entertained throughout the hottest months
Time Out Dubai staff
1. 4DX Cinemas Get more action from your movies with this immersive cinema experience. Seats move with the on-screen action, and viewers experience rain, steam, fog, lightning, bubbles and scents as they watch. Dhs130. Available at Vox Cinemas in Deira City Centre and Mirdif City Centre, www.voxcinemas.com/4DX (600 599 905).
2. Alserkal Avenue Dubai’s art scene doesn’t take a break during the summer. Visit Alserkal Avenue’s clusters of galleries and warehouses for creative film screenings, permanent and visiting artist exhibitions and music and dance performances, many of which are free to attend. Street 8, Al Quoz 1, www.alserkalavenue.ae (050 556 9797).
3. Coffee Museum This small museum down an alleyway in Al Fahidi showcases the region’s historical coffee-making heritage. Over two floors, the museum shows visitors international brewing and roasting techniques, and offers a good cup of coffee in the café. Dhs3 (adults), Dhs1 (children). Open Sun-Thu 9am-5pm. Villa 44, Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood, Bur Dubai, www.coffeemuseum.ae (04 353 8777).
4. Gyrocopter Tours Take a flight over Dubai in a light, two-man gyrocopter. Taking off from Skydive Dubai, the price of the tour includes photographs and video. Dhs999. Skydive Dubai, Al Sufouh, www.skydivedubai.ae/gyrocopter (056 406 9630).
5. Hint Hunt Dubai Work the grey matter with this live escape game. Hint Hunt is designed for groups of three to five people. Players get locked in a room and have just one hour to figure out a myriad of puzzles and get out in time. From Dhs360 (group of three). Open daily 10am-9pm. Times Square Center, Sheikh Zayed Road, www.hinthunt.ae (04 321 2242).
6. Museum of Moving Image Telling the story of cinema and animation, this private collection offers visitors a visual and interactive look at how moving image has developed over the centuries, from shadow puppetry to commercial films. There’s even an eighteenth century Dutch peep box viewer that can be operated by visitors. Dhs50 (adults), Dhs25 (under 18s). MCN Hive Building, TECOM, www.dubaimovingimagemuseum.com (04 421 6679).
7. Shark Safari It may be too hot to go on a desert safari, but you can have an up close and personal animal encounter at Shark Lagoon within Aquaventure Waterpark. And it’s not just open to scuba divers, as guests wear special helmets and can walk among the reef sharks and rays in the giant aquarium. From Dhs275. Open daily 10am-sunset. Aquaventure Waterpark, Atlantis The Palm, Palm Jumeirah, www.atlantisthepalm.com (04 426 2000).
8. Ski Dubai Skiing and snowboarding in a desert city might seem bizarre, but since opening in 2005, Ski Dubai has become one of the city’s top year-round attractions. Learn to ski or go freestyle, and those that just want fun in the snow can meet the resident penguins or brave the Snow Bullet zip line. From Dhs250. Open daily 9am-midnight. Ski Dubai, Mall of the Emirates, Al Barsha, www.theplaymania.com (800 386).
9. Trampoline Parks Get your fix of indoor activity at one of Dubai’s trampoline parks. Bounce in Al Quoz and Jumpboxx in Uptown Mirdif offer family-friendly bouncy fun. Both have dodgeball areas and free jumping areas. Bounce: From Dhs70. Open Sun-Wed 10am-10pm, Thu 10am-midnight, Fri 9am-midnight, Sat 9am-10pm. 32, 4B Street, Al Quoz, www.bounce.ae (04 3211 400). Jumpboxx: From Dhs69 per hour (adults), Dhs39 (ages 3-4). Open Sun-Wed noon-10pm, Thu noon-11pm, Fri 10am-11pm, Sat 10am-10pm. 47 Street, Uptown Mirdif, www.jump-boxx.com (04 288 5744).
What tourists want
Ajith Hettiarachi, concierge at Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek, reveals the top ten destination requests from guests...
1. How to get to the Spice Souk and what are the traditional/most famous spices to buy? 2. Traditional dhow cruises and abra rides. 3. Old Souks in Bur Dubai. 4. Cable car in Creekside Park. 5. Deira Gold Souk. 6. Desert safaris. 7. Public beaches. 8. Global Village. 9. What’s the best shawarma place in Dubai? 10. Metro station maps.