Why this Moroccan elixir could be the world’s most useful beauty product
From tackling skin problems and stretch marks to softening skin and smoothing hair, could argan oil be the world’s most useful all-natural beauty product? Caitlyn Davey reveals the myriad benefits of this Moroccan elixir.
Thanks to growing health concerns, both the beauty industry and consumers are making a shift towards all-natural products. And the benefits of Moroccan-sourced argan oil towers above the rest as one of the leading multi-purpose serums on the market.
Often confused with Moroccan oil, argan oil is a pure substance extracted from the argan tree in Morocco. Moroccan oil is a less pure form of argan oil that typically contains synthetic additives. Argan oil, in its pure form, has a myriad of beauty uses, which is why hairdressers and therapists often recommend it.
Owner and hairdresser at Cosmopolitan Salon, Kaarina McIsaac, uses Nashi argan oil and says she recommends it for a multitude of things: ‘It’s great for all hair types. Even after using the product once, my clients have noticed a massive difference – especially as we all know how the water and weather can be tough on our locks.
‘Argan oil is found in a range of products including shampoo, conditioner, deep-infusion treatments, instant-hydration styling masks, leave-in oil sprays and dry oil body sprays. But you can even use the pure oil straight out of the bottle for glossy, healthy and fabulous looking hair.’ The properties of argan oil include vitamin E for rejuvenation and moisturisation, and omega-3 fatty acids, which hydrate, heal and soothe.
Founder of Izil Natural Argan Beauty, Mohamed Najib Mouline, shares her top 20 ways to use and benefit from argan oil.
1. Treat your wrinkles Argan oil is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help to fight against wrinkles and other skin changes.
2. Enjoy brighter skin Mix argan oil with a spoonful of honey and a spoon of rosewater to create the perfect 30-minute face mask.
3. Fight off oily skin Apply argan oil to the face – it acts as a sebum production regulator, reducing the skin’s production of natural oils.
4. Combat dry skin If you have dry skin, argan oil will help balance moisture thanks to its rich fatty-acid content.
5. Fight dandruff If you suffer from dandruff, apply argan oil to your hair and massage well into the scalp. Brush the oil through and wrap in a hot towel. Leave for 20 minutes before washing as normal. Then you will be able to see the difference: the oil will soothe, hydrate and nourish your scalp.
6. Prevent hair loss Following the same process as you would for dandruff, you can create thicker hair. Just remember to distribute the oil evenly.
7. Enhance your existing products You can even use argan oil to enhance your shampoo and conditioner. Simply add a few drops to your regular products for an ultra-hydrating experience.
8. Repair damaged skin Cracked skin on feet can be unsightly. Nourish cracked heels by applying argan oil, then cover with socks. The deep hydration will sink into the skin cells and soften your feet.
9. Soften your hands Massage your hands with argan oil each evening to rehydrate and strengthen, saving your nails from brittleness and cracking.
10. Eradicate stretch marks Reduce the appearance of stretch marks by massaging argan oil into the tummy, chest, hips and thighs.
11. Treat skin complaints Eczema and psoriasis can be relieved with the soothing power of argan oil, the substance is natural so it will not aggravate skin conditions.
12. Hydrate your skin If you are prone to dry skin, rest assured that through applying argan oil to the affected area, you can enjoy smooth, hydrated skin.
13. Soothe sunburn Sunburn can be painful, but heal those hot spots with a touch of argan oil and feel the sudden difference.
14. Treat bites and stings Calm irritating bug bites and insect stings with argan oil, which will tone down the redness and soothe itchiness.
15. Fight infection Argan oil is renowned for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, providing organic, natural care for your skin.
16. Help your joints Ease your arthritis or rheumatic problems by massaging with argan oil daily. This helps to reduce pain and help improve your quality of life.
17. Use as a baby product Your baby can bounce around with moisturised and healthy skin. Use argan oil to hydrate without the use of the potentially harmful chemicals and additives found in many baby products.
18. Combat the effects of the sun Sitting in the sun can result in scaly skin. Applying argan oil will help the scaly areas disappear.
19. Clear up your skin If you’re prone to acne, use sebum-production-regulating argan oil. It will moisturise without making the face oily, and is also gentle on the skin.
20. Calm down Relax in a hot bath using argan oil. Add a few drops to the running water and soak up the natural goodness. Izil Natural Argan Beauty, www.izilbeauty.com.
The real deal
Accept no imitations... While argan oil has many benefits, Moroccan oil and imitations are not as effective or safe to use all over the body. Argan oil that is pure should say 100 percent argan oil or ‘argania spinosa kernel oil’. It should also be priced at around Dhs100 per 100ml as the cost of manufacturing such a labour-intensive rare material pushes the price up.