3) Which of these did NOT visit Dubai this year? a) The world’s first talking horse b) The world’s first Arabic-speaking android c) The region’s first silent disco
Food 4) Match the signature dish to the contemporary Japanese restaurant. 1) Nobu 2) Okku 3) Mirai 4) Zuma
a) Miso black cod b) Barbecued unagi with foie gras and baked apple c) Wagyu beef and foie gras yakitori d) Crispy fried squid with green chilli
5) If you’re in the market for Japanese imported grapes, where can you go in Dubai to buy some?
6) Who is Pappa Roti? a) The charming but befuddled maître d’ at one of Dubai’s hottest restaurants b) The Dubai health inspector c) The namesake of the unearthly espresso buns in The Dubai Mall
Around Town 7) Which Hollywood stand-up comic recently cancelled his Dubai debut because it coincided with both Eid and Thanksgiving?
8) On what date is the Burj Dubai officially set to have its inauguration?
9) Earlier this year, we reported that a popular board game has its own monthly Dubai-based tournament, at which the game’s world number five regularly competes. Name that board game.
Art 10) Which of the following galleries, after being open less than a year, moved its permanent residence from the Marina to the heart of Al Quoz? a) Ayyam Gallery b) Green Art Gallery c) Carbon 12 d) XVA
11) Which female Emirati artist represented the UAE at the Venice Biennale this year?
Books 12) Which world-renowned author famously dropped out of EAIFL, only to then appear via video link, after a row about censorship?
13) What is the name of the first Arabic manga comic book?
14) What is the name of Dubai’s biggest book store?
Film 15) Sex and the City 2 was refused permission to film in Abu Dhabi earlier this year. Which city is doubling for Abu Dhabi in the finished film?
16) Which Hollywood actress had her directorial debut screened at this year’s Dubai International Film Festival?
17) Who directs City of Life, the first big-budget feature film set entirely in Dubai?
Music & Nightlife 18) Who was voted Dubai’s best hip-hop act in this year’s Time Out Best Bands competition?
19) Which headlining ’80s UK band dropped out of the last day of SoundCity this year?
20) Which French DJ refused to come to Dubai because his private jet was having a spot of trouble?
Sport 21) In golf, the European Tour’s Order of Merit was renamed this year. How will it be known from now on and who topped it this year?
22) Venus Williams went on to win the women’s singles title in the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championship in February. Who did she beat in the final to take the title?"
Time In 23) What is the name of Anna Paquin’s character in hit vampire TV show True Blood?
24) Who joined the cast of Gossip Girl this year?
25) Who played Eddie Riggs in the videogame Brütal Legend?
Did the year pass by in a blur yet again? Find out how remarkable (or rubbish) your memory is with our scintillating quiz.
If you're the sort of person with a memory for facts and figures, you could win a Time Out Goody bag.