Five things you might not know about mammoth US rockers
Time Out Dubai staff
1. Before receiving critical acclaim and chart success in the UK, The Kings of Leon were more famous for having celebrity fans such as Drew Barrymore and the Olsen twins than they were for the quality of their tunes.
2. The band’s first ever show was a support gig at a country and western concert. Described by lead singer Caleb as the ‘scariest moment of his life,’ the group survived the show by adapting all their tunes to an alternative country style.
3. A 2010 show in St Louis had to be abandoned after pigeons... er ...defecated on the bass player, Jared Followill, for three songs. Having endured the unwanted critical feedback for two songs the band walked off stage during the third song when he was hit in the mouth and face.
4. Record company executives originally only wanted brothers Caleb and Nathan in the band with a couple of backing musicians to be provided for them. Only when the brothers insisted on keeping the line-up with little brother Jared and cousin Matthew did the label cave in.
5. Radiohead, Bob Dylan and Pearl Jam have all declared themselves to be fans of the band. Oasis singer Liam Gallagher, on the other hand, is not so sure, claiming the band had ‘sold out’ and were trying to emulate U2.