Pop sensation Lady Gaga performs her first Gulf gig this month. If you’re thinking of getting on the plane get the lowdown on the famed singer.
1. The monster mother wasn’t always known as Lady Gaga. The starlet was born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta on March 28, 1986 in Manhattan. Impressively, she learnt to play the piano by ear at the tender age of four and started composing her own ballads when she was just 13.
2. The ‘Born this Way,’ singer graduated from the posh Manhattan all-girls high school, Convent of the Sacred Heart, where Nicky and Paris Hilton also attended. It also happens to be the same school that appeared in US TV series, Gossip Girl, which she made a cameo in. The impressive list goes on as Gaga attended New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts where she was one of 20 people to gain early admission. However she never graduated as she dropped out after just one year to pursue her music career full time. Working and performing in burlesque shows she was signed to Interscope Records at the age of 20 and ever since the world has being going gaga for Gaga.
3. While Lady Gaga is known for her ever-changing style and unique collection of wigs and hairpieces, she’s naturally a brunette. According to People magazine, the singer dyed her hair blonde after an interviewer confused her with Amy Winehouse. “I want to be known for my own look,” she told People’s interviewers.
4. Pre Lady Gaga fame, when she was simply known by the name, Stefani Germanotta, the future pop icon appeared as a contestant on MTV’s Boiling Points in 2005. The programme featured contestants being subjected to rude behaviour by restaurant staff, unaware that they are being filmed. Unfortunately Gaga missed out on a $100 prize as she failed to keep her cool.
5. During her early time at Interscope, the ‘Bad Romance’ singer worked as a songwriter for fellow label artists like Britney Spears, New Kids on the Block, Fergie and the Pussycat Dolls. The singer has recently penned hits for Jennifer Lopez’s album, Love? including, ‘Hynotico.’
6. While there are several versions of the story of how the New York native got her stage name, there is no doubt that it was inspired by Queen’s 1984 song, ‘Radio Ga Ga.’ The singer says that music producer Rob Fusari was the first to call her Gaga. Speaking to Flybe magazine in 2010 she said, ‘One day, I played Rob a song called Again Again, and he said, “Gosh that’s so Queen. You’re so Radio GaGa. Very theatrical,” and he started to call me GaGa when I’d come into the studio.’ The rest, as they say, is pop history.
7. Her song, ‘Telephone’ was originally written for Britney Spears sixth album, Circus. However, the song didn’t make the album’s final track listing, so Gaga recorded the song as a collaboration with Beyonce for her album, The Fame Monster. Gaga’s sister Natali Germanotta, who is a fashion designer and has made some of her craziest outfits also made a cameo in the music video for ‘Telephone’ starring as a fellow prison inmate.
8. The ‘Edge of Glory’ singer appeared in a 2008 episode of The Hills. The US reality show saw Gaga’s zipper break on her cat suit which was then fixed by the show’s stars Lauren Conrad and Whitney Port.
9. The infamous meat dress that Lady Gaga wore to the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards weighed 50 pounds and was made from raw beef. The unusual creation as designed by Argentine designers Franc Fernandez and styled by Nicola Formichett. The pair specifically chose cuts of meat such as flank steak, so that it would last the night.
10. Perhaps one of the most interesting facts of all is that before the hit maker made it big on the charts, she always had a taste for the spotlight. At 15 years old, Stefani Germanotta appeared in the hit TV show, The Sopranos. In Season three, episode nine titled, ‘The Telltale Moozadell,’ Gaga appears in a pool scene in which the lead character Tony Soprano’s son A.J. and his friends are swimming at their high school pool after hours. In the clip, Gaga is seen sitting on the bleacher stands in a black sweater, drinking a bottle of juice and laughing at the boy’s behaviour. Qatar Airways offers return flights to to Dubai from QR870. From QR495-QR32,000 (VIP). Lady Gaga: The Artpop Ball Tour. September 10. Meydan Racecourse, Nad Al Sheba, www.ladygaga.ae.