One of Dubai’s most spectacular shows is nearly here, here’s why we can’t wait
One of the most audacious and spectacular live theatre productions ever to arrive on Dubai’s shores, La Perle, is very nearly here. Ahead of its arrival on August 31, we round up all the things we know so far about the show.
1) Its scale is unprecedented As a visual feast, La Perle is promising one of the most spectacular, awe-inspiring shows the city has ever seen. The show has had its very own purpose-built theatre constructed for its arrival, and will feature 3D projections, an aqua stage and high-powered winches for the battalion of performing artists.
2) …and the cast is big. Very big. A 65-strong cast of acrobats, athletes, dancers and performers have been flown in to Dubai from around the world to bring Dubai’s first permanent aqua-theatre show to life. Performers from 23 different countries have been pushed to their limits.
3) It’s from one of the world's most highly regarded theatrical directors La Perle is the brainchild of much-lauded director Franco Dragone, the man credited by many as bringing contemporary circus into the mainstream of global entertainment. Tens of millions of people worldwide have seen Dragone’s creations or productions and La Perle will be able to accommodate more than 400,000 theatre-goers each year.
“It is a thrill to present the La Perle theatre to the public for the first time,” said Dragone. “We are extremely proud to present this unique project and can’t wait to welcome the first guests to immerse them in the wonderful world of La Perle.”
4) It will be performed “in the round” Nearly. Well, 270o instead of the full 360. Dragone wants La Perle to be a one-of-a-kind theatrical experience that ensures every viewer gets the full effect, and that’s why the intimate 1,300-seat theatre will partially surround the performance area. What’s more, seating only goes 14 rows back, meaning the entire audience can get totally immersed in the action.
5) It looks nigh-on other-worldly At first we could barely divert our gaze from the 3D renderings we saw in 2016, but when we were treated to rehearsal images we could hardly believe our eyes. A dark theatre with black curtains this is not. Absolutely not. Magnificent and grandiose scenes of mystical fantasy themes were present in the first look photographs. Quite simply, it looks mind-bendingly spectacular.
6) It won’t just be lights and water The show has been positioned as aqua-theatre, and there have been promises of an audacious array of lighting to bring the vision to live. But there’s more. They’ve also built a huge, rather scary-looking puppet for the show, but we’ve been sworn to secrecy on that.
7) Tickets are on sale now Tickets for this visual spectacular start from Dhs400, with bronze, silver and gold options available, as well as VIP packages. Get yours now, you won’t want to miss this. Dhs400. From Thu Aug 31, Tue-Fri, 7pm and 9.30pm; Sat, 4pm and 7pm. La Perle, Al Habtoor City, Sheikh Zayed Road, www.laperle.com (04 437 0123).