The Meydan Hotel
Located next to the racetrack made famous by the world’s richest horse race -– the Dubai World Cup – Meydan hotel is definitely the place to be if you want to be close to all the racing action… but not much else. There are a couple of bars and a few restaurants here, but there's no real nightlife to speak of, so if you’re looking to party, you’ll need to catch a cab and head to Sheikh Zayed Road or the New Dubai neighbourhoods – all of which are easily more than half an hour away by taxi. There are more than 200 rooms and suites here and while they all overlook the tracks, try and book one on the higher floors. Rooms are spacious and ooze luxury, especially the bathrooms where you’ll find a TV so you can enjoy a movie while soaking in the tub. The Meydan also has a ‘Ladies Floor’, an entire level dedicated solely to female guests, which boasts even more luxury, from plush custom bedding and daily fresh-cut flowers, to your very own private butler. The infinity pool by the hotel’s rooftop, though small, offers spectacular views over the course and is the ideal place to enjoy a well-earned sundowner.
• There’s a spa and health club, with yoga classes available on select days, and a rooftop infinity pool.
• Tours of the stables and race course can be easily arranged. There’s also a target and shooting simulator so you can practise your gun skills in a digital environment that’s as real as it gets.
• The Prime steakhouse has good cuts of meat, Farriers offers all-day international dining, while Bas Pasta will satisfy your cravings for Italian. The Millennium lobby lounge is good for coffee and pastries, but if it’s a drink you’re after, head to the poolside Equus Bar at the hotel’s rooftop or unwind at the Shiba Bar that has Japanese signature-inspired cocktails.
• Race day is in March, but if you fancy a spot of polo head to Arabian Ranches Polo Club.
• Don’t miss the Friday brunch at Farriers – not only is there every cuisine imaginable and free flowing champagne served here, but kids are spoilt with entertainment options ranging from video games and movies to balloon benders, face and T-shirt painting and a bouncy castle. All for less than Dhs500.
Time Out Dubai,