The Palace, The Old Town
There’s nothing quaint or low-key about this shimmering majestic, Arabian-inspired hotel in Old Town, right near Dubai Mall. Built around a lake and covered in thousands of white twinkling lights, if you arrive at night, you cannot fail to be impressed. Even in the day, the elegant architecture brings a touch of the exotic to modern Dubai. Let the hustle and bustle continue around you while you kick back at the outdoor pool or make use of the spa with its monsoon rain showers, traditional hammam treatments and Jacuzzis. Literally within walking distance of sister hotels The Address Downtown and The Address Dubai Mall, The Palace won’t make it easy for you to leave its confines. Sample rich Latin American cuisine at Asado, one of Time Out‘s Highly Commended restaurants this year, or book a romantic table for two at Thai eatery Thiptara, which overlooks the musical Dubai Fountains. For those who come to shop, you can’t get much closer to the world’s largest mall, but for those who don’t know their Cavalli from their Chloe, there’s ample facilities that let you just relax.
• London favourite Rivington Grill has its Dubai outpost in Souk Al Bahar, right on the doorstep of The Palace. Head there for a brilliant lunch deal.
• Feeling brave? The Underwater Zoo in Dubai Mall lets PADI qualified divers jump in and help the staff feed its resident fish and sharks.
• For an afternoon cupcake treat, swing by Magnolia Bakery within Bloomingdales – it’s a branch of the NYC brand catapulted to fame by the Sex in the City series.
• The Palace's spa has recently won an award for being the best in the Middle East. The three-hour 'Queen's Ritual' is a must-do.
• Need some help with the shopping spree? Hire a personal shopper, such as Kelly Ludberg at Divine. www.divine.ae.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews