Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate
The Gate’s Jazz Brunch
‘The Sumptuous Friday Brunch’ at the Gate is a culinary showcase of the Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate five signature venues (Sicilia, Shanghai Chic, Mistral, Moroc Bar and Chor Bazaar). Dhs295 (soft drinks), Dhs395 (selected house beverages), Dhs495 (bubbly), half price aged seven-12, free for children under six Timings: 12.30pm-4pm (Friday)
The huge arch of this hotel stands tall over the next door, nearly kilometre-long shopping mall. The ‘Gate’ opened last year and has been designed around the famous adventures of Ibn Battuta (in a similar, although less kitsch way than the mall), with each floor dedicated to his various destinations. What hits you upon entering is the stunning lobby, adorned with huge Arabian-style chandeliers all hanging at different levels... it’s rather fabulous. The hotel’s home to Shanghai Chic and Chor Bazaar, both excellent Chinese and Indian restaurants, respectively. For a spot of Arabian-style nightlife, head to Moroc, the al fresco shisha bar. But it’s best to head here after dark – the one thing Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate doesn’t have is a good view. For shopping, you can’t get much better, as you can stroll across to the mall or take the Metro, which will stop at four or five more (including Dubai Mall) if you can’t find that perfect little number.
• Take a breather from the heat at Dubai’s only IMAX cinema in Ibn Battuta Mall.
• The hotel has an outside pool and pool bar, health and fitness centre, spa and a nightclub.
• You’re close to Dubai Marina, the centre of what is known locally as ‘New Dubai’.
• From Ibn Battuta, you’re only just over an hour from the UAE’s capital Abu Dhabi, which has an older, slower pace of life vibe to Dubai. A taxi will cost around Dhs200 each way.
• Don’t expect a view here. You’re next to the main highway, the Metro line and based in a more industrial end of town.
• For a drink with a view, head to Bar 44 at nearby Grosvenor House for some sky-high vistas across the Arabian Gulf.By Time Out Dubai staff
Time Out Dubai,