10 things you didn’t know about Tom and Jerry
They're coming to Mirdif City Centre, so get your trivia at the ready
Ahead of their appearances at City Centre Mall in Mirdif this month, we uncovered five things you might not know about everyone’s favourite duo!
• Tom and Jerry was created through the most successful animation partnership – William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. The duo later formed the studio that brought The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Top Cat, The Smurfs and other icons!
• Tom and Jerry were American for most of their career – except for a period in the 60s when the cartoons were created in Czechoslovakia. 13 Czech episodes were commissioned with a very different tone, with harder-edged violence, and eerie echoing sound effects.
• During their very first outing in 1940, Tom was actually called Jasper, while Jerry – though nameless in the cartoon itself – was referred to as Jinx by the animators.
• John Carr was the inventor of the character’s permanent names. He was the animator who won a studio-wide competition to create their names and define their characteristics, winning him $50.
• Tom and Jerry were set to star in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but legal complications prevented it from happening. But the duo had already appeared in live action films before then – most famously in 1945’s Anchors Aweigh, when Jerry stole the show in a dance sequence with Gene Kelly. Tom played the butler.
• In 1975, for a short period, Tom and Jerry became screen friends in a special series which saw them travel the world competing in sports, solving mysteries and exchanging kind gestures.
• Tom and Jerry were subjected to yet another reinvention in the 1990s. A “prequel” series was made about their early years, which went back to basics with proper cat and mouse chases and cartoon violence.
• There was once a similar series called Herman and Katnip. The antics of this particular cat and mouse aren’t that well-remembered today.
• Tom and Jerry were not silent characters. They both uttered lines throughout their careers.
• Made in the 1950s, Tom and Jerry has a spin-off called Spike & Tyke, featuring the adventures of that big bulldog we often saw chasing Tom. It lasted two episodes as the studio closed.
Tom and Jerry will be at the Central Galleria in City Centre Mirdif from January 7-27. A maze will be staged for families to experience the iconic Tom and Jerry chase live at the mall. Mall visitors who spend Dhs399 at any store within the mall can enter the maze. Keep an eye on City Centre Mirdif Facebook page for more information.
Time Out Dubai,