A brother and a sister have died from food poisoning after eating at a Dubai Chinese restaurant
A Dubai-based couple's life was torn apart over the weekend when they lost both their son and daughter to suspected food poisoning, a friend of the family told Gulf News.
Ann-Sofia, a French expatriate, had ordered take-away from the Lotus Garden Chinese restaurant in Al Ghusais on Friday evening and several hours later, when the children started vomiting, she rushed them to NMC Hospital.
Dr B. R. Shetty, Managing Director and CEO of the NMC Group of Hospitals, said: "Two children and one adult were brought to the NMC Hospital in Dubai on Friday evening with suspected food poisoning. One of the children, a young boy, was pronounced dead on arrival. A young girl and a woman were than transferred to Dubai Hospital for further treatment.
"The young girl was pronounced dead this [yesterday] morning but the woman is feeling better. All three cases are being linked to suspected food poisoning but we cannot determine the exact cause of the deaths until Dubai health authorities complete their investigation."
The five-year old boy, Nathan, and his sister Chelsea, seven, were treated for suspected food poisoning. Chelsea and her mother were admitted to the intensive care unit. They were then transferred to Dubai Hospital where Chelsea died yesterday [Sunday], the friend said.
The father, Patrick D'Souza, an Indian, was in Abu Dhabi when the incident took place. Gulf News reported warnings from doctors last week to minimise eating out during the summer months, especially at smaller eateries where hygiene levels are often of lower standard.
Food poisoning often occurs when food is stored at incorrect temperatures as bacteria grows rapidly during the hot and humid months.
Expert comment on how VAT fees coming in 2018 will affect cost of living in Dubai
Watch – Dubai’s self-flying taxis take to the skies
Early footage shows remarkable progress being made already
US laptop ban lifted for Abu Dhabi flights, Dubai soon to follow
Passengers flying to the US can now carry electronic devices on board
Dubai Police remind residents about home security service
Don’t forget they can keep an eye on your home while you’re away
Tenny Jun 17, 2009 11:19 am
Its shocking that the two kids lost thier life like this ...we have to be careful and vigilant about the quality of food in restaurants around us ..
and it is our duty to report to the concerned authorities if we notice any malpractice .....
Natasha Jun 15, 2009 03:16 pm
Can't belive its happened in Dubai...
What about doctors? How long its been before they got to the hospital?
Iam just hoping that our medical care will improve... Some of the hospitals have not up to date equipment...
Audrey Jun 15, 2009 09:31 am
Chelsea is my daughter's best friend...I have been waiting for a day now to wake up from this nightmare.... Its horrible, horrible...my thoughts and heart goes out to their parents. XX :''''(