Arabic food recipes
Simple Arabic recipes for you to try at home Discuss this article
Enjoy eating Arabic food? Have you ever made some yourself?
Well you should.
Check out these simple recipes and make some Arabic dishes for yourself at home.
2 Arabic flatbreads, toasted and cut into bite-sized pieces
8 leaves of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 scallions, sliced, white parts only
1 cucumber, diced
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
¼ cup fresh parsley, diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tbsp ground sumac
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
• Preaheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C
• Toast Arabic bread for five to 10 minutes or until crisp, then break into bite-sized pieces.
• In a large bowl, toss together pita, romaine lettuce, scallion, cucumber and tomatoes.
• In a separate bowl, mix the parsley, garlic, sumac, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and mint. Pour over the pita mixture and toss just before serving.
1 large potato, diced
2 baby courgette, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 butternut squash, diced
1 medium aubergine, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 bunch of fresh coriander, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 green chillies, finally chopped
300 ml chicken stock
3 pieces of loomi (sun dried limes)
Dill and coriander to garnish
Spice mix (biz’har)
1 tsp ground loomi
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp coriander seeds
5 tsp ground clove
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground cumin
3 brown cardamom, bruised
• Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the chicken for ten minutes. Set aside.
• Add the potato, courgette, aubergine and potato, season and stir fry for eight to 10 minutes, set aside.
• Saute the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger for two to three minutes. Add the tomatoes, cilantro and tomato paste. Add the spices, stir thoroughly.
• Add the chick, chicken stock and loomi and let simmer for 30 minutes.
• Add the vegetables, simmer for a further 10 minutes.
• Sprinkle with chopped dill and coriander and serve.
250g baked and crushed puff pastry
50g sliced almonds, plus some extra for sprinkling on top
30g chopped pistachios
30g chopped pine nuts
30g chopped sultanas
30g chopped apricots
Zest from one orange
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cardamom pods
400ml whipping cream
50g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
• Bake the puff pastry according to the instructions on the packet (15-20 minutes at 220 degrees C/428 degrees F)
• Cut the puff pastry into small squares and place in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle in the nuts and dried fruit.
• Preheat the oven to 250 degrees C/482 degrees F.
• Put 200ml of the cream, plus the milk, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla pod (cut and scrape the seeds out)into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour through a sieve over the pastry in the bowl. Tidy up the pastry so that it is all covered by teh cream.
• Leave to soak for five minutes.
• Whip the remaining 200 ml of cream and spoon onto the creamy pastry mix.
• Bake until golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
• Scatter some nuts over the top.
• Allow to cool slightly before serving.By Will Milner
Time Out Dubai,
- Academic City(4)
- Al Quoz(25)
- Arabian Ranches(11)
- Bur Dubai(197)
- Business Bay(54)
- Discovery Gardens(16)
- Downtown Dubai(206)
- Dubai Internet City(14)
- Dubai Investments Park(5)
- Dubai Marina(293)
- Dubai Media City(52)
- Emirates Hills(25)
- Festival City(52)
- Green Community(13)
- International City(25)
- Jebel Ali(23)
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers(72)
- Knowledge Village(5)
- Motor City(10)
- Nad Al Sheba(9)
- Oud Metha(112)
- Palm Jumeirah(67)
- Sheikh Zayed Road(196)
- Silicon Oasis(9)
- The Gardens(36)
- Umm Suqeim(73)
- Afternoon tea(46)
- Alcohol available(614)
- All you can eat deal(93)
- Beach access(1)
- Brunch served(74)
- Business lunch(74)
- Family friendly(308)
- Floating restaurant(10)
- Great view(33)
- Live music(146)
- Outdoor seating(532)
- Pork served(90)
- Private dining area(69)
- Smoking permitted(336)
- Take away(357)
- Wheelchair Access(1)
Most viewed articles
- Time Out Dubai Restaurant Awards 2015
- Twenty meals for less than Dhs50
- Junoon: Dubai's hottest new Indian restaurant
- Behind the scenes at Omnia by Silvena
- Dubai foodie news
Our favourite features
Best afternoon tea in Dubai Cake, sandwiches, tea and lashings of cream at Dubai afternoon teas
Best sushi in Dubai Oishii! Kiree! Sugoi! and welcome to the most enticing sushi in Dubai
Best beach clubs in Dubai Treat yourself to a day of sunbathing and waiter service at the beach
Dubai’s best outdoor bars 25 top places to spend a night under the stars
Best pizzas in Dubai From dial up to dine in we've eaten the best pizzas in Dubai
Dubai's best dim sum Recommended spots to sample this quintessential Chinese dining pastime
Dubai's best buffets Loosen the belt and pile up your plate at these all-you-can eat packages
86 Friday brunches to try Time for brunch? We run through the options - in price order
56 lunch-break buys Start your style revolution from the comfort of your desktop with these ...