White chocolate and raspberry trifle
If you can perfect this little number you will never be single again. Follow the recipe closely and invest in the best ingredients and your set for life. Discuss this article
175g white chocolate
2 medium free-range egg yolks 25g caster sugar 300ml milk
700ml double cream
8x 4cm slices Swiss roll (bought or homemade)
2 tbsp Kirsch
4 fresh mint sprigs
• Put a 55g piece of white chocolate in the fridge –this will make it easier to grate later. Break the remainder into small pieces.
• Cream the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk for about two to three minutes, until the mixture is pale, thick and creamy and leaves a trail.
• Pour the milk and 175ml of the cream into a small, heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour this onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time, then pour it back into the pan and place over a moderate heat. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until it starts to thicken and coats the back of the spoon. Add the broken-up pieces of chocolate and stir in until completely incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover the custard with clingfilm to stop a skin forming.
• Place half the Swiss roll slices in a large glass bowl and sprinkle with half the Kirsch. Scatter over a third of the raspberries, then repeat. Pour the white chocolate custard over the top and leave to set in the fridge.
• To serve, whip the remaining double cream. Top the custard with the whipped cream, scatter over the remaining raspberries, grate over the chilled white chocolate and place the mint sprigs on top.
Tip from the top
‘This can also be made as individual trifles. Use four medium ramekins, and just make the trifles in miniature, cutting the Swiss roll slices smaller, if necessary.’By Chris Anderson
Time Out Dubai,
- Academic City(3)
- Al Quoz(17)
- Arabian Ranches(10)
- Bur Dubai(164)
- Business Bay(4)
- Discovery Gardens(10)
- Downtown Dubai(160)
- Dubai Internet City(11)
- Dubai Investments Park(3)
- Dubai Marina(227)
- Dubai Media City(37)
- Emirates Hills(21)
- Festival City(48)
- Green Community(9)
- International City(19)
- Jebel Ali(17)
- Jumeirah Lakes Towers(42)
- Knowledge Village(1)
- Motor City(5)
- Nad Al Sheba(9)
- Oud Metha(83)
- Palm Jumeirah(61)
- Sheikh Zayed Road(165)
- Silicon Oasis(3)
- The Gardens(23)
- Umm Suqeim(63)
- Afternoon tea(46)
- Alcohol available(598)
- All you can eat deal(91)
- Brunch served(77)
- Business lunch(79)
- Family friendly(313)
- Floating restaurant(10)
- Formal dress code(22)
- Great view(33)
- Live music(149)
- Outdoor seating(519)
- Pork served(95)
- Private dining area(75)
- Smoking permitted(341)
- Take away(358)
Most viewed restaurantsAll reviews
Most viewed articles
- Time Out Dubai Restaurant Awards 2014
- Dubai food events this week
- Dubai Food Festival at the Litfest
- Dubai Food Festival essential events
- Dubai Food Festival Beach Canteen
Our favourite features
101 celebrities in the UAE The most famous faces spotted in the emirates throughout 2013
Best selling albums of 2013 The top 20 sellers in the UAE: Who comes out on top?
Around the world at Global Village Dubai Stop and shop across the globe at the UAE's cultural park
Iconic Dubai buildings explained We celebrate some of the city's less well-known architectural triumphs
Hot new Japanese restaurants in Dubai Following a burst of new openings, we round up the newcomers
20 delicious low calories dishes in Dubai Our favourite feasts which pack just 500 calories or less
Pictures: Dubai from the sky We hopped aboard a Seawings flight to capture some amazing views of the ...
30 FREE things to do in Dubai From fitness trends to arty movie screenings, how to have free fun
20 celebrity chef restaurants in Dubai The celebrity-inspired restaurants that have come (and in some cases, go...
Massive new developments coming to Dubai FOUR huge islands off Deira, a 30,000-seater stadium, 100-storey tower, ...
21 restaurants to try in Downtown Dubai We dine our way down Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Boulevard (Emaar Boulevard)
50 best dishes of 2013 From budget to blow-out, the best our reviewers have been served in 2013
An essential guide to renting in Dubai Beat price hikes, pick the right area, and know your rights
How to get a pay rise 20 expert tips to bag more cash from your boss
30 top outdoor bars in Dubai As the temperatures cool we round up the best places to drink outside in...