New dining experience offers traditional Chinese cuisine in a peaceful setting
This new dining experience at Fairmont The Palm offers traditional Chinese cuisine in a peaceful setting
Located at Fairmont The Palm, Bā Restaurant & Lounge is the new Chinese hotspot for a wide range of traditional dishes. Taking its name from the Chinese for the number eight – an auspicious numeral in Chinese lore and mythology – the venue offers picture-perfect sunset vistas over the Arabian Gulf. Drawing influence from all over China to produce a delectable menu, Bā offers diners delicious cuisine in a truly tranquil setting.
The Chef Lau Pak Wai Born in Hong Kong as the second of three children, Lau became interested in cooking at an early age. He was the only child in his family tempted into the kitchen and was convinced that he was destined to become a chef. Now master chef at Bā, Lau has previously worked in various parts of Asia for Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group as well as Hyatt Hotels Corporation. He has had the privilege to personally cook for the king and queen of Thailand as well as the Vice Premier of the People’s Republic of China, His Excellency Hui Liangyu. During his spare time, chef Lau loves to indulge himself in his passion for golf and world travel.
Signature dishes Starter Sea scallop and lobster dumpling
Ingredients 120g wheat starch 120g potato starch 320g chopped fresh lobster meat 160g chopped scallop 5g sea salt 6g sugar 3g white pepper Method • Place the wheat starch and potato starch in a mixing bowl and mix well.
• Pour in boiling water and mix into a dough, mixing until you achieve a smooth texture.
• Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
• Place the lobster meat, sea scallop, salt, sugar and pepper into a mixing bowl.
• Mix well until a paste is formed.
• Portion the dumpling dough into 10g pieces and roll into thin round sheets.
• Place lobster mixture (about 30g each) on dumpling sheets and wrap into the desired shape.
• Place the dumpling on a bamboo basket and steam for five minutes.