An expert chef shares top recipes to use with fresh fish from Dubai's markets
Pan-fried fillet of sheri with green garden pea and fava bean ragout and potato croquette
(Serves two) Ingredients 400g sheri (cut in two 200g portions), 25g butter, 10ml olive oil, 1 lemon, pinch of saffron, baby spinach (or a few mixed leaves), 20g chopped shallots, 50ml fish stock, 2 garlic cloves, 2 spring onions, 50g pink radish, 50g fava beans, 30g green peas, 60ml cream, pinch nutmeg, thyme, breadcrumbs, 2 eggs.
Method 1.Trim the fillet of sheri and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in a frying pan with skin side down first, until golden brown, turn over and add butter and lemon juice.
2. Roast the potatoes at 220°C for two hours or boil the potato until soft. Remove the skin and mash. Season and add thyme, egg yolk and nutmeg. Roll into desired shape and coat lightly, first in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Fry in oil until golden brown, and set aside.
3. Sauté the shallots, garlic and butter in a saucepan. Add saffron, then pour in the fish stock and reduce the liquid by half. Add cream and reduce again until thick. Add green peas and fava beans.
4. Garnish with pink radish, spinach and spring onion.
Pan fried sea bream fillet with lemongrass and butter sauce
(Serves one) Ingredients 400g sea bream (cut in two 200g portions), 15g chopped lemongrass 10g chopped garlic, 1 lemon, 10g salt, 30g unsalted butter, 40g red and yellow pepper bell, cut into cubes, 100ml water, 15g white sugar, 20ml cooking oil.
Method 1. Heat 15g of butter in the frying pan, add the chopped garlic and stir fry. Add the water and remaining butter. Allow to boil and then squeeze the lemon juice into the sauce. Add salt, lemongrass and sugar to taste.
2. Add the bell pepper and remove the sauce from the heat.
3. Heat the frying pan to a medium heat and add cooking oil.
4. Fry the fish fillet on both sides until cooked and golden brown. Serve with the sauce.
Whole baked Sultan Ibrahim with fresh herbs
(Serves two) Ingredients 250g Sultan Ibrahim (clean well and remove the fin), 10g chopped garlic, 5g chopped parsley, 5g ground black pepper, 10ml olive oil, 5g salt, 1 lemon, sliced, 2 cherry tomatoes.
Method 1. Marinate the fish with garlic, parsley, olive oil, black pepper and salt.
2. Grill the fish on both sides.
3. Place the fish on aluminium foil, top with lemon slices and wrap in a triangle- shaped parcel. Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 280°C.
4. Grill the cherry tomatoes with salt and olive oil. Use to garnish the fish and serve.