There's a new seafood joint in town, a place of inspired piscine creation where you can soothe your meat-weary soul 5 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
There's a new seafood joint in town, a place of inspired piscine creation where you can soothe your meat-weary soul. It’s name is Peppercrab, and it offers not only fantastic, innovative food, but also a charming setting both inside and out. The menu’s an exhilirating read and main courses of crab, lobster and fish are plucked directly from the tank.
On our visit we kicked off with spring rolls, fried scallops and oyster omelette. The rolls were light and crispy in the Indonesian style and the scallops were equally good – plump delicate rounds served with tender asparagus spears. Purists say that oysters should only be eaten live, on the shell. This is, of course, pure poppycock. Cooked oysters are a pleasure and rarely more so than in this light, fluffy omelette, stuffed to the gills with the little beauties.
We went large on the mains. A kilo and a half of mud crab, a whole hammour, some amazing crab fried rice and noodles all found their way to the table. Crab is a tricky customer but the good folk at Peppercrab do most of the hard work for you, splitting the shell and tearing the legs from the body. You do however get to enjoy the satisfying experience of getting your hands messy digging out the soft white meat from the legs. Extremely primitive and lots of fun.
The whole hammour (sans head for decency’s sake) came cooked to perfection with delightful spices that complimented rather than overpowering the delicate fishy flavours. The noodles and rice were equally good, leaving us sated, soporific and extremely crab-happy. Either sitting out on the terrace (wait until October for that treat) or eating inside the wonderfully decorated restaurant, Peppercrab is a masterpiece of a place.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 27 April,2015- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 10 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 29 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 05 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 31 March,2008- reviewed by Becky Lucas
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 03 January,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 October,2004- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 January,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.