Floating restaurant on Dubai Creek 14 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2008
Bateaux Dubai is no ordinary boat. It’s not even another over-dressed dhow, like the many that float past it dripping with more lights than a Hollywood strip at Christmas.
Bateaux Dubai is more of a purpose-built floating restaurant, complete with multi-levels, artful lighting, music from the resident ‘deck jockey’ and lots of shiny wood.
Indeed, if it wasn’t for the shifting coastline that you can see through the greenhouse-style windows (that is, once the comical sailor boy has wiped away the condensation that continuously builds upon them), you’d think you were in a French dining room.
And although the unique eaterie concept attracts a mixture of tourists, families, couples and older guests (ie the cruise ship crowd), tables are evenly spaced enough to allow privacy.
As for any nutrition neurotics who may worry that a bobbing kitchen won’t offer as much fodder as a stationary one, be calm – BD serves enough to feed Noah’s Ark. From the moment you’re seated, the efficient, well informed staff ply you with pastry-based amuse bouches, freshly baked bread and a rich red pepper soup – all before you’ve begun your substantial three-course meal.
Impressively managing to serve the entire boat at once, the choice appetisers include fleshy fresh tiger prawns and a sauce laden asparagus benedict.
Scamper above deck for 15 minutes before the rest of your artfully arranged food arrives – the seafood ‘en papillot’ (cooked in paper) and crusty rack of lamb are each solidly satisfying, while the white chocolate crème brûlée drenched in raspberry and the strawberries with date crumble and mascarpone ice-cream will send you right over your edible edge (or overboard, with how heavy you’ve become at this point in the evening).
A floating foodathon where you can feed yourself silly, Bateaux Dubai is one gimmick done well.By Jeremy Lawrence
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 26 April,2015- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 10 January,2011- reviewed by Oliver Robinson
- 05 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 02 November,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 01 December,2008- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 03 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 12 December,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 December,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.