Ashiana is a beautiful and atmospheric restaurant, all gorgeous dark woodwork and gold-tinted lanterns. 12 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
Ashiana is a beautiful and atmospheric restaurant, all gorgeous dark woodwork and gold-tinted lanterns. The biggest disappointment is that the non-smoking section is separated from the live music stage by two lattice fences, with holes too small to see through. You may not mind missing out on the early stages of the evening, when the band performs tasteless soft-jazz fusion. But as their performance begins to seriously improve and become genuinely Indian, you’ll regret not being able to see a thing.
Crack poppadums and scoop up the chunky mango chutney before moving on to sip timater tulsi shorba, a simple tomato soup with crispy croutons and smooth spicy undertones. Although the sizzling, pipinghot nature of the tandoori ‘salad’ may come as a surprise, dazzlingly juicy slices of bell pepper, mushroom and onion full of natural flavour will impress. Be warned: the tandoori marinade is tear-inducingly spicy.
The murgh tikka makhani features chunks of smoked chicken in a creamy sauce lifted by the soft zing of saffron and fenugreek, while the macchi ka salan is a hammour curry cooked in a thick sauce of coconut milk and melon paste. The saffronsprinkled triangles of paratha are crisp yet light and un-oily.
Pick of the dessert platter is a triangular slab of kulfi made with apricots and figs. A single portion of gulab jamun, meanwhile, is melt-in-the-mouth light. The service is friendly and gregarious, if unnecessarily over-attentive.
By Time Out Dubai
- Previous reviews
- 25 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 27 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 17 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 31 March,2008- reviewed by Becky Lucas
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 28 February,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 01 August,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 January,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 January,2002- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.