You will be amply rewarded if you take the trouble to drive a little way out of town to dine at Bice. Spacing between diners is generous and service is delivered with efficiency and refreshing humour 41 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
You will be amply rewarded if you take the trouble to drive a little way out of town to dine at Bice. The restaurant décor is understated with dark timbers and Italian chic in elegant hues, while large cream lampshades over each table give muted lighting. Spacing between diners is generous and service is delivered with efficiency and refreshing humour.
The menu is extensive but focused. Combinations of ingredients are pleasing to the eye and palate, and the bill will come as a happy surprise considering the quality of food and service. The vineyards of Italy are well represented alongside some lesser-known origins like Chile, Lebanon and Portugal.
We nibbled crisp slivers of pizza while we made our choices from the menu and dipped into the bread basket, which included some especially good grisini (very fine, crisp bread sticks).
Salmon tartare (a hearty portion) was fresh tasting, colourful and beautifully presented. The Portobello mushroom and Gorgonzola salad with Italian leaves, although less eye catching, was tasty. Main courses arrived, piping hot, after just the right amount of breathing space. The risotto with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil was laden with fresh porcini and was subtly truffly. The sliced chicken breast stuffed with taleggio cheese and artichokes was bursting with wholesome flavours.
The pastry chef’s creations were presented in a similarly uncluttered style to the rest of the meal, and his light touch was clearly evident. Cioccolatissimo was an extravagant-issimo chocolate soufflé with a velvety molten centre…blissful. The Crema al latté was a superbly light creamy milk pudding topped with red fruits. Presented in a stemmed glass, it rounded off the meal with delicate style.
Although purists might wonder about the origins of some of the dishes, the quality and authenticity of the ingredients need not be questioned. Bice provides a memorable dining experience; excellent food and service in lovely surroundings.
- Previous reviews
- 23 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 13 November,2012- reviewed by Penelope Walsh
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 16 November,2011- reviewed by Oliver Robinson
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 29 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 16 February,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 28 January,2008- reviewed by James Brennan
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 17 May,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 August,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 September,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 March,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 January,2002- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.