Start your culinary mission with the fishcakes, which are extremely appetising when smothered in sweet chilli sauce, while a clutch of king prawns wrapped in egg noodles would have even Pussy Galore purring 49 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2007
Your journey to Pai Thai – the Madinat Jumeirah’s serene waterside Thai restaurant – has all the trademarks of a voyage into the ostentatious lair of an evil genius. As you’re ferried through contrived waterways in a suspiciously inauthentic abra, you’ll imagine the unhinged musings of the archetypal Bond villain. ‘The whole complex was designed to my own personal specifications,’ he lisps while stroking a white Persian cat with a solid platinum hand. Then, he would sadistically advise that, ‘naturally, any attempt at escape would be completely futile,’ as a gnashing crocodile swished darkly into the shrubbery.
Yet, once you get to the restaurant, escape will be the furthest thing from your mind. Start your culinary mission with the fishcakes, which are extremely appetising when smothered in sweet chilli sauce, while a clutch of king prawns wrapped in egg noodles would have even Pussy Galore purring. The deep-fried hammour with sweet and sour chilli sauce is a whole soft and flaky fish that arrives with clumps of sticky steamed rice, while a gang of tiger prawns as big as henchmen surrender without a struggle to a creamy, spice-tinged curry sauce.
A pair of dazzling desserts provides a sensational denouement. In an explosion of fruit chunks, crack into a sublime deep-fried pandan ice cream as if burrowing into a subterranean hideout; or a time-bomb of perky pumpkin and custard with creamy coconut milk. The mission is a success. The report from Time Out HQ reveals that Pai Thai is undoubtedly licensed to thrill.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 10 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 14 August,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by TIme Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 10 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 25 October,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 December,2004- reviewed by Matthew Lee
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.