Romantic al fresco Thai restaurant in Jumeirah 49 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2008
Arriving at the Madinat’s serene waterside Thai restaurant is far from an understated affair. Guests can take a boat (courtesy of one of the Madinat’s fun if inauthentic abras) or a buggy. Either way, you’ll feel like a character out of a James Bond film.
Once inside, the lush interior will delight discerning diners; with wooden, varnished floors and wicker chairs and mats. But does the food match the attractive surroundings? Happily the answer is yes. Dishes are light and fresh – bursting with the flavours of herbs and spices, such as chillies, lemongrass, garlic, Thai coriander and coconut milk.
Start your Thai feast with crunchy spring rolls or Thailand’s famous papaya salad (big enough for two) before moving onto mains. Standard fail safe options like red or green curry are served with clumps of sticky steamed rice and don’t disappoint, while the pad thai also impresses; it’s not overly greasy as is often the case.
For dessert, try the satisfyingly sweet sticky rice and mango, but pass on the pumpkin in coconut milk – the pumpkin tends to be drowning in the liquid and is a little tough.
But for the most part, Pai Thai is a cut high above the rest – while dishes do cost, you do get five-star service. For the ultimate taste of Thailand in the heart of the desert, head here.
By Jeremy Lawrence
- Previous reviews
- 10 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 14 August,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by TIme Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 10 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 25 October,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 December,2004- reviewed by Matthew Lee
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.