Getting into Buddha Bar is no easy task 17 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2008
Getting into Buddha Bar is no easy task. Even if you do manage to get a table, you may find that it’s not until some incredibly late hour – this is not only due to the popularity of the venue, but it’s a time usually appealing to the city’s night owls who tend to flock here, even on week nights.
Ever since it opened, Buddha Bar has become a place frequented by Dubai’s movers and shakers; where those who like to be seen come to hang out, eat and enjoy a cocktail late into the evening. No matter what day you visit, Buddha Bar will still be busy after 11pm and full of the city’s ‘it’ crowd.
Moving past the other diners, all dressed in their finest outfits, the first thing that will strike you is the mood and loudness of the music – it’s almost like you’re taking a seat on a nightclub dancefloor, albeit one with a huge window and an impressive view of the Marina.
And with a name like Buddha Bar, it’s mainly Thai food that the menu offers – although you can order up your choice of sushi, should you prefer. But then you’d miss out on the grilled calamari salad starter, with its frighteningly fresh mix of shredded greenery, baby tomatoes and grapefruit, with lightly charred pieces of soft calamari, and chilli and lime dressing giving added zing.
The Thai green curry is a great choice for a main, delivered in a huge bowl shrouded in steam, the scent of which gives subtle clues to the tender chicken pieces, slices of aubergine and creamy coconut-fuelled sauce that easily treads the fine line between intense heat and rush of flavour. Order a portion of steamed jasmine rice and let the sauce smother it.
To finish, the trio of crème brûlée will please any fan of this dessert – the variations include banana, Japanese rice and coconut. Savour a mouthful from each as you watch the fire juggler stood on the bar.
By Jeremy Lawrence
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 27 April,2015- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 28 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 25 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 14 April,2008- reviewed by Chris Anderson
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 22 November,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 28 November,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.