Almaz by Momo
The Tunisian brick is a light, feathery concoction of onion, potato and pastry, topped with a fried egg and two pinkly fresh morsels of tuna 30 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2007
With its multi-coloured low-hanging lamps, a ceiling that glitters like a desert sky and a soundtrack of frantic zithering beats, the dusky Almaz isn’t short on atmosphere. While the traditional Moroccan mains are good, you’re best off sticking to the dishes from the mezze menu. The Tunisian brick is a light, feathery concoction of onion, potato and pastry, topped with a fried egg and two pinkly fresh morsels of tuna. The lamb kibbeh – a dish often disappointingly doughy and greasy – are tiny, golden nuggets, rich in meat and darkly flavoursome. These serve as the ideal complement to the equally visceral, aromatic charms of the pan-fried lamb liver.
Top things off with a Moroccan salad – sweet, finely diced cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and onions, enlivened by some mercifully delicate slivers of anchovy – and a dish of prickly, spicy merguez sausages. The desserts are also impressive, with the orange salad a piquant citrus savarin and drizzled with anise tuiles, and a perfectly gooey mango sorbet. Almaz arrived here in 2006 courtesy of restaurateur Mourad ‘Momo’ Mazouz, whose Momo’s outlet in London, with its hugely popular celebrity clientele, provides the blueprint for what seems sure to be a Dubai success.
By Time Out Dubai Staff
- Previous reviews
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 07 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 01 August,2007- reviewed by James Brennan
- 31 May,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.