The Burj Al Arab’s spectacular signature seafood restaurant 25 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2011
It’s to be expected that dinner at Burj Al Arab will be anything but understated, and so it will probably come as no surprise that it’s necessary to take a submarine to the hotel’s seafood restaurant. Thankfully, it’s just a quick three-minute ride in this motion simulator before you arrive at your destination. Set around an enormous aquarium heaving with exotic fish, Al Mahara is an experience unlike any other – indeed, there are few other places in the world where you can have dinner sitting next to a hump-headed wrasse the size of a labrador.
Naturally, staff are overwhelmingly attentive and it’s not long before the arrival of an amuse-bouche, and a variety of interesting breads is brought over for your perusal. A starter of Maine lobster – one of the restaurant’s signature dishes is a little overwhelmed by a far-too-rich sauce, akin to a sweetened red curry. The mains deserve more appreciation: the Dover Sole roulade with an almond crust is reasonable enough, but the bed of crushed potatoes is overwhelmed by an incredible amount of shaved truffle, while another main of rouget barbe (red mullet) is well-cooked but alarmingly salty. There are other superior seafood restaurants but for most it’s the experience of visiting a one-of-a-kind restaurant in a luxe setting that sells Al Mahara.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 27 April,2015- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 05 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 08 February,2010- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 25 February,2008- reviewed by James Brennan
- 29 August,2007- reviewed by TimeOut Dubai Staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by TimeOut Dubai Staff
- 01 May,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 January,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 September,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 January,2002- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.