A bustling Italian joint with an extensive menu but a hotel lobby feel 12 Reviews
New Year's Eve offer
An Italian five-course set menu. Dhs599 (with glass of bubbly) (Wednesday)
If you’re sick of cavernous, empty hotel restaurants and seek a mid-week pizza and grape fix in a bustling environment, Prego’s is a safe bet, but it’s not one that’s going to wow. Based in its hotel’s lobby, the first thing that strikes a visitor is the salumeria, which features an impressive array of Parmas, but frostiness persists beyond the cold cuts – the decor is straight out of a hotel interior design textbook, the service is at best inattentive and otherwise good Burratta mozzarella is ruined by being verging on frozen.
There are selling points, however: the menu is truly extensive – spanning more than a dozen pages it starts with cold cuts and antipasti, then pizza and pastas are covered thoroughly before mains and deserts even begin. Each dish we’ve tried here has been pleasing – risottos flavoursome (if a little mushy); pastas al dente and authentic and pizzas wood-fired and passable. Meat mains vary in quality, though the lamb chops and sea bream are impressed safe bets. Desserts are consistently good – chocolate mousses and Tiramisu move beyond textbook cuisine and have that je ne sais quoi that the restaurant overall lacks.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 23 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 August,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 05 January,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.