A small and friendly hotel restaurant that sells delectable pizza at doable prices 24 Reviews
This small home-cooking haven doesn’t pretend to be anything it’s not. The decor is dusty and the service and food unpretentious. The name is a little misleading; the quirkily designed interior is like a dhow tipped upside down, diners sitting inside the hull, and while there is a small al fresco area in the Crowne Plaza’s atrium, right below the hotel pool, it’s hardly warrants the ‘al-fresco’ mantle.
The pizza, however, does merit a mention: the base has a perfect tomato flavour, without a hint of anything artificial or readymade, and the base is the perfect consistency – doughy, but so thin it turns to mush in the middle. As close to a Sicilian slice as you’ll find in Dubai. Everything else on the menu is palatable, yet pales in comparison: pasta authentic and comforting; the antipasti fresh – if sometimes a little under-seasoned and the meat dishes just like Mama made them. Al Fresco is going to become a regular of ours thanks to friendly staff and prices, perfect pizza and a quirky vibe.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 29 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 20 October,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 November,2001- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.