A small and friendly hotel restaurant that sells delectable pizza at doable prices 24 Reviews
Buone Feste! Tuck into homemade Italian festive food this Christmas at the Crowne Plaza. Dhs180 (four course meal) Timings: noon-3pm 25 December 2013
This small home-cooking haven doesn’t pretend to be anything it’s not. The decor is dusty and the service and food unpretentious. The name is a little misleading; the quirkily designed interior is like a dhow tipped upside down, diners sitting inside the hull, and while there is a small al fresco area in the Crowne Plaza’s atrium, right below the hotel pool, it’s hardly warrants the ‘al-fresco’ mantle.
The pizza, however, does merit a mention: the base has a perfect tomato flavour, without a hint of anything artificial or readymade, and the base is the perfect consistency – doughy, but so thin it turns to mush in the middle. As close to a Sicilian slice as you’ll find in Dubai. Everything else on the menu is palatable, yet pales in comparison: pasta authentic and comforting; the antipasti fresh – if sometimes a little under-seasoned and the meat dishes just like Mama made them. Al Fresco is going to become a regular of ours thanks to friendly staff and prices, perfect pizza and a quirky vibe.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 29 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 06 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 20 October,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 November,2001- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.