The goose liver, accompanied by toothsome slices of caramelised apple, is expertly seared to reveal a myriad of complex flavours that ends with a wonderfully smoky twist 11 Reviews
New Year's Eve offer
Choose from a three or four-course set menu. There’ll also be live entertainment. Dhs650 (three courses), Dhs750 (four courses) (Wednesday)
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2007
JW’s Steakhouse has an exclusive gentlemen’s club feel, yet to join the flesh-chomping fraternity here, you don’t have to belong to the old boy network – you just have to be willing and able to part with a significant sum of cash. The brass nameplates on each table – which can be earned by visiting JW’s a belt busting 24 times in six months – prove there are plenty who are willing to do this regularly. Which could be why this restaurant has gained a reputation for being one of Dubai’s favourite steakhouses. And judging by the foie gras starter, who could question it?
The goose liver, accompanied by toothsome slices of caramelised apple, is expertly seared to reveal a myriad of complex flavours that ends with a wonderfully smoky twist. And then to the main event – the steak. The US rib-eye is as tender as a love poem and wonderfully marbled, but perhaps a bit too fatty in places. Nevertheless, a fist of chunky homemade onion rings and a handful of thick, crispy fries suitably soak up the creamy béarnaise and hollandaise sauces that accompany it. Although the rib-eye is big enough to fill a cannibalistic cow, duty calls in the form of an excellently creamy cheesecake and sweet strawberry compote; an excellent choice indeed.
Sadly, the chocolate fondant, which is despondently stodgy, is decidedly lacking in wow. JW’s will only truly deserve its aura of exclusivity when it excels in every department, which at the time being it doesn’t. But for its moments of triumph, we’re sure there will be more brass nameplates appearing on its tables soon.
By Time Out Dubai Staff
- Previous reviews
- 23 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 10 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 03 November,2011- reviewed by Oliver Robinson
- 28 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 30 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 31 March,2008- reviewed by Becky Lucas
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 31 January,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 February,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 July,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 March,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.