The Irish Village
All the staples of an Irish pub are on offer at the Village. Guinness and Kilkenny flow in equal measures; drawn with patience by well-trained and friendly Irish bar staff 20 Reviews
All the staples of an Irish pub are on offer at the Village. Guinness and Kilkenny flow in equal measures; drawn with patience by well-trained and friendly Irish bar staff. Rustic wooden furniture is strewn around a vast bar that manages to create a degree of intimacy through the cunning creation of different seating areas. At this time of year, IV, as it is colloquially know, is all about al fresco eating and drinking.
Without counting, it felt like we were supping in the company of around 500 others in the enormous outdoor seating area. A fake Irish village high street façade is a bit unnecessary, particularly when a pleasant view over the mini golf course and pond of the adjacent Aviation Club is a far better direction to rest your eyes.
The compact menu incorporates the obvious Irish stew and a few other local treats. The portions are ample, with the emphasis being on size rather than on quality.
Fresh soda bread and Irish butter were a good start to the meal. Seafood cocktail, served in a sizeable stemmed glass was bland and swimming in pink mayonnaise, but the feta cheese salad was fine. The bangers and mash was substantial and tasty. At the recommendation of our waiter I had the salmon with spinach and leeks, which was excellent; a perfectly cooked piece of fish; a pity about the flabby baked potato (is there anywhere in Dubai where you can get one that is crispy outside and fluffy inside? We are still looking.)
We thought the pub was full when we arrived, but the people kept coming and few were leaving. The Irish Village has the most cosmopolitan crowd of any pub in Dubai. There is a refreshingly relaxed attitude towards who can come and enjoy themselves. This means you will find Kiwis, Ozzies, Americans, South Africans, Asians, Arabs and Europeans. Not so much an Irish Village; more of a global village.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 27 April,2015- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 September,2014- reviewed by Robert Garratt
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 11 August,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 17 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 December,2004- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 May,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.