The Irish Village
The Irish pub – found in every city from Lima to Vilnius to Ho Chi Minh – is the jovial, inebriated, shamrock-clad mascot of gastro-imperialism 20 Reviews
The Irish pub – found in every city from Lima to Vilnius to Ho Chi Minh – is the jovial, inebriated, shamrock-clad mascot of gastro-imperialism. But how many of these countless cliché-riddled, Bono-vocalised counterfeits can claim to be etched into the outside walls of a tennis stadium? While the Village scores on its novelty location, and reasonably authentic décor, the food was unfortunately disappointing on our visit.
We appreciate how important time-efficient service is to profit margins, but this bordered on the ridiculous. Our meals arrived only three minutes after the orders were placed. The resulting fast food tasted like it had been hastily reheated – not what you want from a pub meal.
We shared an unimpressive starter, a seafood cocktail with prawns, salmon and white fish, which was something of a damp squid. My companion’s Irish stew was bland, mushy and drably lukewarm. My boiled bacon with mashed potato was equally dreary; the meat and accompanying vegetables were tough and pretty tasteless. We were particularly disappointed with our meal because we know from many previous visits that the Village is capable of fine pub fare.
The waiting staff, nearly all genuine Irish imports, were as exceptionally friendly as ever, and this remains a fine place for a pint.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 21 September,2014- reviewed by Robert Garratt
- 24 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 11 August,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 17 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 May,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 January,2002- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.