Here, the dish is a rich, creamy quilt of pinkish sauce covering soft, plump cushions of chicken on a bed of steaming, fluffy basmati rice 10 Reviews
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2007
Think Great British food and images of fish and chips, the full English breakfast, and roast beef and Yorkshire pudding will inevitably leap to mind. But which of these simple yet scrumptious creations is Britain’s most popular dish? The answer, of course, is none of them. That’s because – with over 23 million portions prepared each year in restaurants alone – the UK’s best-selling dish is the ubiquitous and notorious chicken tikka masala. And the only place you can sample such a fabled concoction in Dubai is at this Scottish-owned restaurant.
Here, the dish is a rich, creamy quilt of pinkish sauce covering soft, plump cushions of chicken on a bed of steaming, fluffy basmati rice. But that’s not the only British thing on offer here. A peculiarly British variation on the Indian pakora, the onion bhaji, is a jagged parcel of onions and spices deep-fried in gram flour batter and makes an excellent starter. Better still, try their balti – a sizzling combination of onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices, with any meat or vegetables you can think of, cooked and served in the same wok-like bowl (‘balti’ literally means ‘bucket’) – which was introduced by Pakistani chefs in Birmingham in the early 1970s. There’s even a haggis (a traditional Scottish delicacy of offal, onions and spices, boiled in the lining of a sheep’s stomach – yum) pakora starter on the menu.
In the unlikely event that it arrives slightly overdone, you can hilariously bellow, ‘What’s this, Burns Night?’ and be the toast of the entire restaurant. An alcohol license wouldn’t go amiss, but the impressive Brit-Indian curries and the good service make this a real contender.
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 21 April,2014- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 25 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 28 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 07 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 February,2010- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 16 August,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 30 April,2006- reviewed by TimeOut Dubai Staff
- 01 November,2004- reviewed by Matthew Lee
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.