Great value at Towers Rotana 44 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2008
Among the plethora of big-name chefs heading up big-name restaurants, it’s refreshing to see Teatro still offering the same excellent food, low-lit atmosphere – and crucially – the same excellent value for money. Head for one of their four set menus and you’ll find an array of options from as low as Dhs175 for a four-course meal.
If you’re sticking with the à la carte menu, then the choice is even more impressive – the restaurant’s motto is ‘Where Eastern cooking meets Western cuisine’, and it truly lives up to that mantra. Offering dishes from Thailand, China, Italy and India – as well as an extensive sushi menu – there is something for every palate.
Unfortunately, it’s far from a secret, meaning it’s often booked up days in advance, which sadly does also mean that you’re sometimes hastily shepherded through your dinner. So if you want a relaxed and lazy meal, then make a point to say so.
The Asian sampler is a good jumping off point – the duck pancakes are rammed with succulent slivers of duck and demand dunking in the lip-lickingly good hoi sin sauce, while the succulent samosas come with a cooling mint sauce, and the fried prawns are as big as baby’s arms and brilliantly moist.
The pollo mattone main course is a disappointingly dry dish, with the tame hunk of chicken carried by a bed of shrivelled gnocchi. The Malai curry fares much better. Beautifully tender and in a sauce so rich and gloopy it might have been an extra from Charlie And The Curry Factory, it should be unceremoniously wiped up by the pillow-soft Kashmiri naan.
Desserts are dominated by fruit and chocolate dishes – the passion fruit tart is sublime, while the sizzling chocolate brownie sounds intriguing, but can be a step too far for some bellies. The rapid service aside, Teatro offers one of the best value for money menus in town.
By Jeremy Lawrence
- Previous reviews
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 19 January,2010- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 28 June,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 29 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 26 September,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
- 01 April,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 July,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 November,2001- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.