Gary Rhodes's restaurant at the Dubai Marina is a Dubai classic, but is it worth the cash? 34 Reviews
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2009
Dine at Rhodes Mezzanine and you’ll feel like you’re in heaven… or at least in one of those Philadelphia ads from UK TV in the ’90s. Everything is white.
The walls, the tables, the uniforms of the expert and friendly staff. Pink and orange baroque furniture and luminous Perspex bring splashes of colour. It’s surreal, but beautiful.
An amuse bouche of a deliciously creamy yet sharp white tomato soup and bread rolls with melting butter make a great start to an incredible meal. There are only eight main dishes, but you will still struggle to choose between the beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish options.
If you can’t decide, there is a taster menu where you can sample small portions of any number of the dishes, and all are as exquisite as the halibut with creamy crab risotto, the salmon with buttered spinach, or the divine pork belly.
But dessert is where the British dishes really come into their own. Bread and butter pudding, jam roly poly and a jaffa cake (no, not the ones you can get from Spinneys) come on the dessert platter, each utterly delicious.
The chef seems to think you haven’t indulged enough, however, and offers you some soft, warm scones with cream and jam along with your frothy coffee. It seems dining at Rhodes Mezzanine, in many ways, is heaven.By Time Out Dubai staff
Time Out Dubai,
- Previous reviews
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 04 January,2010- reviewed by Catherine Jarvie
- 16 February,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 28 April,2008- reviewed by James Alexander
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 19 September,2007- reviewed by TimeOut Dubai Staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 07 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 27 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 August,2005- reviewed by Matthew Lee
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.