Things start swimmingly, with superb bread and wonderfully tangy chimchirri sauce, but quickly go downhill with a lacklustre tapas selection, a range of bite-size portions on silver spoons 30 Reviews
Jumeirah Restaurant Week
The restaurant promotion returns for a second year, offering set menus at Jumeirah restaurants across the city. Dhs180 (signature dining) (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Picture 1 of 2
Things start swimmingly, with superb bread and wonderfully tangy chimchirri sauce, but quickly go downhill with a lacklustre tapas selection, a range of bite-size portions on silver spoons. The tequenos – deep-fried halloumi with a guacamole-style cocktail – are tasty but fairly elementary and uninteresting.
Given the Argentine predilection for red meat, you may be tempted to order your 300 grams of Angus beef tenderloin cooked medium to well-done. Don’t. Unless you want it to arrive completely lacking in juiciness and flavour. The steak is thoroughly tender, with nicely charred edge, but far too dry. Saturated in oil to the extent that the natural flavour of the fish is totally overwhelmed, the Chilean seabass with heart of palm salad is an even bigger disappointment and you may find yourselves attacking the side dishes – excellent Cuban black beans and rice and sweet plantain fritters – with more fervour than the main courses.
The margarita flambé is a fantastic piece of entertainment but ultimately another lacklustre dish, just some crépes with lifeless chocolate sauce and a few tough strawberries. Alone on the 25th floor of the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, the restaurant offers spectacular views that almost make up for the lack of entertainment, while the décor is certainly warm and inviting. But faced with a Dhs700+bill – including a bottle of the lowestpriced red wine – you might just feel disappointed.
By TimeOut Dubai
- Previous reviews
- 21 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 12 September,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 29 July,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 24 March,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 17 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 05 January,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 26 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 24 March,2008- reviewed by Jeremy Lawrence
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 21 February,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 01 March,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 September,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 April,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
- 01 December,2001- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.