Spectrum on One
Pricey Mediterranean Sheikh Zayed Road 26 Reviews
The ‘dupper’ concept is a combination of supper and dinner, with food and entertainment. Dhs350 per person Timings: 8pm-11pm (Thursday)
Friday brunch at Spectrum on One continues to push the culinary envelope, serving more than 200 dishes from all corners of the globe. There’s a great cheese room as well as a guacamole station. Dhs345 (soft drinks), Dhs455 (selected beverages), From Dhs575 (bubbly) Timings: Noon-3pm (Friday)
- Picture 1 of 2
From Time Out Dubai Eating Out 2008
It takes a strong stomach and a long evening (or afternoon) to get an overview of Spectrum On One’s cornucopia of global delights. The scale of ambition here is literally all-encompassing, with region-specific kitchens purveying specialties from the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, Europe, South East Asia and Japan.
Orders are coordinated via strap-on headsets that wouldn’t be out of place at a boy-band’s stadium gig. It’s all very interesting, but can the whole extravaganza work as an ensemble? Navigate yourself around the gargantuan tome laid in front of you, and you’ll find a surprising amount to commend.
A portion of juicy, rich king scallops is rendered even more decadent by an accompanying buttery cauliflower puree. A large wicker basket of dim sum is also a hit, while the Goan fish curry is fine if a little undistinguished.
A League of Nations-style selection of perfectly rendered mini-desserts redeems this hands-across-the-world approach. Whether your dishes hail from the mountains of India, the shores of southern Thailand or the heart of rural France, the various cooking stations coordinate the whole affair with miraculous harmony, so that your dishes arrive within seconds of one another.
After serving both breakfast and a hugely popular brunch, the restaurant still manages to make its evening dinner an experience you’ll want to repeat. All in all, there’s enough artistry on show here to heartily recommend the concept as a coherent whole.
By Jeremy Lawrence
- Previous reviews
- 15 April,2013- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 22 March,2012- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 14 August,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 23 March,2011- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 05 April,2010- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 19 March,2009- reviewed by Time Out Dubai staff
- 26 January,2009- reviewed by Daisy Carrington
- 21 January,2008- reviewed by James Brennan
- 19 September,2007- reviewed by TimeOut Dubai Staff
- 12 March,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 24 January,2007- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 04 May,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai Staff
- 27 April,2006- reviewed by Time Out Dubai
- 01 February,2004- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 March,2003- reviewed by Rob Orchard
- 01 April,2002- reviewed by Carolyn Robb
Time Out reviews restaurants anonymously and pays for meals. Of course, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or independence of user reviews.