- Your guide to moving to and living in Dubai including finding a home, job and bank
How to learn to drive in Dubai
Get driving lessons in Dubai and then take a test 3 Comments
The RTA doesn’t recognise licences from all countries, meaning you may need a minimum of 40 half-hour lessons from instructors at authorised driving schools, even if you have been driving without any problems for several years. Holders of provisional licences from recognised countries may be subject to fewer than that amount. The waiting lists for driving lessons can be fairly long, and there are limits to how many lessons can be taken each week, so expect a lengthy wait (and a hefty payment). However, if you’re willing to pay an extra wedge of money, you can get ‘VIP’ treatment, and skip the waiting list. Rules change regularly, so call the RTA on 04 203 6666 (or visit www.rta.ae), for up-to-date information.
There is a ‘signal’ test to make sure you know your road signs, then there’s a parking test that involves a reverse park.
Once you pass them both, there’s the main driving test that the driving school also arranges for you.
You’ll be sharing the car with three other hopefuls, with each person driving for about 10 minutes.
You will be expected to perform a number of lane changes and do a U-turn. Once back at the centre, you will then sit in a waiting room. If you are unlucky enough to fail, there is no system of appeals – just take your form, go home and sulk.
Do not argue with the examiner, even if you think they've been unfair, as you might get them next time too. If you do pass the test, then your licence will be issued to you right then at the centre.By Time Out Dubai staff
Time Out Dubai,
Watch Kylie Minogue perform live or observe Earth Hour at Nomad
Do yoga on the grass or try ladies’ night with a view
Don’t miss Groove Armada live or cycle in the Criterium
- Hako Sushi 1 22 Mar ' 15 at 22:10 love their food selection and convenient location to my office building. perfect for...More
- The Stables 1 24 Mar ' 15 at 11:18 Overall really good, great pricing and friendly staff. Fast becoming a regular and...More
- La Petite Maison 1 25 Mar ' 15 at 05:38 - Wildly overpriced. - Tables too close so you hear the business conversations from...More
- Time Out Dubai Restaurant Awards 2015 11 10 Mar ' 15 at 12:00 I love calicut paragon. Best budget restautarnt :)More
- One Direction - The On The Road Again Tour 2015 9 10 Mar ' 15 at 10:30 Hi everyone I have 3 platinum tickets that I bought and now wont be going anymore....More
- Mother’s Day: 12 great things to do in Dubai 2 10 Mar ' 15 at 05:10 It doesn't say where is this brunch taking place?More