You don't need to be a bride-to-be to enjoy wedding fairs, but it helps
Tell your new fiancé you’re going and, yes, you will probably freak him out, but Dubai’s Bride Show has a lot more than just cake vendors and ring pillows on offer. In its 14th year, organisers are expecting around 30,000 visitors over the four days, and everything from abayas to make-up and jewellery will be on sale. Normal entry is Dhs10 per day, but pay Dhs50 and you’ll get VIP admission, which means access to the important people’s lounge where you’ll get complimentary mani/pedis, mini facials and massages from Tips & Toes, as well as canapés and refreshments plus, crucially, comfy seating. However, outside there’s still plenty of action – here’s our pick of the vendors to see (remember that most of them will be giving away mini goodies as well). The Bride Show Dubai runs from March 30-April 2 at the Dubai International Exhibition Centre from 2.30pm-10.30pm (www.thebrideshow.com).
Notable shows ‘After You Say Yes – Sima’ is a Bangkok-based haute couture bridal house. One of the three in-house designers, Catherine Fung, will be making the trip to Dubai to meet potential clients.
Satya Paul: is one of the most established fashion designers in India (his Facebook fan page has more than 9,000 followers). This is the first time he is taking part in The Bride Show Dubai, and we’re expecting big crowds for his finale fashion show on April 2.
Saturday, April 2 5pm Oriental Red Carpet 8pm Dantella Designs 9pm Satya Paul
Key exhibitors include:
• Das Collection These ingenious sisters produce abayas that are covetable even for those of us who don’t wear the long black robes as national dress. The sisters will be on hand to speak to visitors and show customer their collections.
• Tips & Toes Outside the VIP lounge, the well-known nail chain will be offering free polish changes and 10-minute massages to all visitors.
• Atlantis The Palm.
• Estée Lauder
• Joelle Mardinian MBC presenter and owner of Jumeirah-based salon Joelle, will be at the show meeting customers, giving tips on make-up and hair.
• Zadina An innovative luxury dates concept masterminded by Al Foah (largest global producer of dates). Ranges includes the highest quality Emirati dates and date-based products.
• Love Soni Jewellery Straight from London Fashion Week, this UK jewellery brand will be selling its bright, colourful and fun necklaces, bracelets and rings.
• Simply Rocks A great range of jewellery. Owner Deepali Sawlani, is a GIA-certified gemologist.
• Sprungli High-end chocolatiers.
• Awazen Spa located in Fraser Suites, Sheikh Zayed Road.
• JW Marriott
• Chantelle The French lingerie brand will have its best lacy stuff on show and for sale. In fact, they’ll be launching the Spring/Summer collection there.
• Galler Chocolates.
• Farage Bridal dresses all the way from France.
• L’oreal Professional
• Max Factor
• Sposa by Shiva Taba Big wedding dresses that are very popular with Arab brides.
• Demetrios Even more big wedding dresses.
• Dubai Ladies Club
• Velvet A company run by Hind Al Qassimi that stocks a number of abaya and jelibaya brands.
• Haifa Kaftans Named one of Harper’s Bazaar’s top picks in the January issue. They also use Liberty of London fabrics, based in Kuwait.