From retro Hollywood glamour to chic Great Gatsby-inspired bobs, teaming a contemporary outfit with throwback locks is one of the hottest trends for 2014.
Style takes a look at three of this season’s most smoking styles and how to create them. Words Holly Sands
Styled by: Cat Hawkes, artistie director at Marquee For busy leading ladies, Marquee offers a Glam-to-Go styling service – leaving you ready to rock in just 20 minutes. Clients can choose from five looks, including this particular take on Hollywood starlet and Monegasque royalty Grace Kelly’s ’do.
How to get the look • Firstly, section off the top of the hair from the left eyebrow diagonally across to the right ear. Then clip the hair to the side.
• Next, scoop up the rest of the hair into a low side ponytail to the right – i.e. the same side as the parted hair.
• Using a bun, place around the ponytail and fan out the hair pinning the loose ends around the bun.
• With the remaining hair, take a small section at the front left side and curl it. Loosely pin this along the left side hairline and into the bun.
• Using a curling wand, curl the remaining loose hair to one side. Section by section, pin along the side of the head into the bun.
• Spray to fix and it’s finished. Dhs105. Arabian Ranches Golf Club (04 420 7700).
The ’60s blow-out
Styled by: Jorge Ranallo at JetSet When it launched, JetSet became the region’s first wash and blow-dry salon, with a concept inspired by the glamorous 1960s aviation sector – with cabin crew of the day the poster women for immaculate grooming. Here, they show you how to create a classic do from their favourite era.
How to get the look • Wash your hair, using a volumising shampoo if you can.
• Roughly blow-dry your hair.
• Grab the largest rollers you have – using these gives you a longer-lasting curl and more volume and can make styling less damaging to the hair.
• Section the hair, making sure sections are no wider than the roll you are using.
• Put your hairdryer on full heat for a few minutes and then leave your hair to set for about 15 minutes.
• Pull out the rollers carefully. Then, using a tail comb, section the crown and back-comb (a lot).
• Then, back-comb everywhere. Don’t go crazy – mainly your roots – and then smooth over with a comb.
• Set the hair with a good hairspray, such as L’Oreal Paris Elnett. Dhs220. Grosvenor House (04 399 5005), Palm Strip Mall (04 386 8604), Emirates Towers Boulevard (04 330 0886).
Styled by: Rana Talal Dadouch at Snob Salon and Boutique A boutique salon in Jumeirah, Snob’s modern-with-a-vintage-edge interiors were dreamt up from the desire to offer something that stood out from some of the city’s more clinical salons. Stocking emerging beauty brands such as Human + Kind, Figs & Rouge and Green Bar, the pampering spot is indeed unique – right down to their takes on classic hairstyling, such as this Great Gatsby-inspired creation.
How to get the look • Wash the hair thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner.
• Blow-dry the hair straight, using a round brush if necessary.
• Section off the hair into four parts using regular hair clips.
• Using a very thin curling iron, curl the hair in thin strands, section by section. Using large clips, fasten the hair in place to make the curls bigger and flatter, and leave for a few minutes while the hair cools.
• To create the S-shaped curl at the side of the head, take a thick strand of hair and use grips to hold in place, before applying hairspray liberally.
• For added shine, apply hair oil to the finger tips and run over the curls. Dhs300. Al Wasl Road, Umm Suqeim (04 338 6600).