If you’re heading to Dubai Airport tomorrow morning (Friday December 16) or have any other plans which involve moving around the city by car, here’s a quick heads up.
A total of 15 roads will be temporarily closed due to the seventh edition of Spinneys 92 Cycle Challenge.
Unfortunately for some, the closures will take place on what Emirates Airlines has predicted is set to be the busiest weekend of the year at Dubai Airport, with 307,000 people alone using Terminal 3 from December 14 to 17.
Running from 6am to 10am, road closure times for each of the affected roads vary.
Here is a detailed breakdown:
Even once the race has concluded, traffic in Dubai is expected to be hectic throughout the whole weekend.
And even though Emirates will have additional staff in place to help to deal with the spike in human traffic at departure terminals, our advice is logically to set off from home earlier than usual.
In a bid to ensure that the mass exodus goes as smoothly as possible, they’ve put in place the following handy measures:
- Check-in will open six hours before departure for all flights
- Car park check-in is available from 24 hours before departure
- Double check the details. Are you flying from Terminal 1, 2 or 3?
- Customers who check in less than 60 minutes before their scheduled flight departure will not be accepted
- Special family areas will be created to help larger groups
- Make sure your hand luggage adheres to the rules regarding liquid, gels, lotions and aerosols (in containers no larger than 100ml). Also check out the official Emirates guidelines on cabin baggage.
- Customers who have checked in online are required to check in their luggage 90 minutes before departure
- Boarding begins 45 minutes prior to departure, and closes 20 minutes prior to departure