The Spa at Fairmont Dubai could have been more inventive with its new name (it was formerly Willow Stream Spa), but it is aiming for a back-to-basics vibe. The newly relaunched spa menu is full of express treatments and simple facials, all aimed at busy business execs. The spa has also stopped using Phytomer products and is now the only spa in Dubai to offer facials with the all-natural Eve Taylor aromatherapy range. The space itself is quite small, and is more of a drop-in-and-go spot than a day spa. That said, the Jacuzzi is lovely and the steam room aromatic, while touches such as pineapple juice and herbal teas in the relaxation room are much appreciated.
My skin playing up in the newly barbarous weather, I choose the Majestic Harmony 50-minute facial, which, according to the spa, is ‘ideal for people who experience sensitivity with their skin caused by travelling, pH changes, environmental factors or busy lifestyles’.
Step by step
This facial showcases the products more than anything else. After an inhalation of oils and two thorough cleansings involving steam (one using a rubber brush to increase circulation to the skin), two masks are applied – the first a hardening cream with marine algae to exfoliate, the second an aloe vera gel to soothe. My face is then thoroughly moisturised and massaged, while my hands are treated to a warm candle massage (the creamy wax truly moisturising my chapped fingers).
• The Eve Taylor products smell divine – scents of chamomile, lavender and aloe vera punctuated my experience.
• The products are also free from parabens, mineral oils and alcohol.
• My skin felt dewy after the facial, the softness lingering for two days. It was also quite gentle, so there was no healing crisis.
• For those who like medi-spa-style facials, this will be far too gentle. There’s no extraction or laser action.
• My treatment only lasted 50 minutes, so I was unable to use the hotel’s pool – you have to book for 90 minutes or more to do so. However, many spas don’t let you use the pool at all, so it isn’t as bad as it first appears.
While the facial didn’t transform my complexion, my skin was indeed balanced as promised. I was so enamoured with the Eve Taylor products that I splashed out on some after the treatment.
This facial is unisex, although The Spa at Fairmont Dubai also offers a range of men-only treatments as well as express treatments. Our pick of the bunch is The Executive Express Facial (Dhs280 for 45 minutes) and the Bespoke Body Polish (Dhs200 for 20 minutes).
The 50-minute Majestic Harmony facial is Dhs420. The Spa at The Fairmont Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road (04 311 8800)