Wandering through Talise at the Madinat Jumeirah after dark, you’d be forgiven for thinking you’d been magically transported to Bali. The soothing piped music and gardens filled with the aroma of frangipani flowers create a relaxing setting.
‘Body contouring at its best’, promises the treatment – no small claim. Body brushing claims to stimulate circulation and a mask boosts the lymphatic system and help remove toxins. I’ve also opted for a 30-minute ‘youthful silhouette bust upgrade’, which claims to enhance the health and firmness of breast tissue.
Step by step
After a short consultation with my knowledgeable therapist, the charming Wanpen, I lie down on the treatment table and she begins with dry body brushing. Though the bristles are coarse, it’s not as harsh as I’d expected, and is actually quite a pleasant feeling. Next, a seaweed body mask is applied all over and I’m wrapped up to let it work its magic, while I enjoy a slow, relaxing head massage (without oils), until it’s time to rinse off in the shower. Back on the table, a contouring gel is massaged in all over, to firm and moisturise my (admittedly very dry) skin, followed by the application of a more intense firming gel around my bust area.
Though I’m normally heavily sceptical about the claims of these treatments, looking in the mirror the following morning I can’t help but notice my skin feels firmer and looks more toned, particularly around my more wobble-prone areas.
• Of the many contouring, cellulite-firming treatments I’ve tried, this is definitely the best so far.
• The spa uses the luxury all-natural Sodashi range from Australia, which is effective yet pricey (a candle from this range can set you back more than Dhs300).
• My therapist recommends ways I can maintain the results at home, such as doing my own dry body brushing twice a week, and applying firming moisturiser to my thighs every night.
• There’s a little too much emphasis on selling the products after the treatment.
60-minute Get Skinny treatment Dhs519, 30-minute Youthful Silhouette bust upgrade Dhs259. Talise Spa, Madinat Jumeirah (04 366 6818).
• Simply Skin Clinical Care
Vela Smooth by Syneron services at this clinic claim to help reduce the appearance of cellulite and enhance skin elasticity.
Dhs600 per session, Dhs4,000 for 10 sessions. Al Ghazal Mall, Satwa (04 345 6080).
• Slim Spa
Try the firm anti-cellulite massage at this centrally located spa.
Dhs250. Al Attar Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road (04 321 3485).
• Thai Elite Spa
The Delightful Relaxation Body Wrap with ‘fizzing cocoa’ claims to enhance cellular activity, moisturise and intensely firm skin.
Dhs200. Gold Swiss-BelHotel, Bur Dubai (04 345 9992).