Sisters’ Dubai Mall branch is a one-stop venue for all things beauty: it offers haircuts, mani-pedis, massages and more. Sisters is the first venue in the UAE to offer treatments using luxe UK brand Cowshed, and the spa has a dedicated Cowshed treatment room decked out in soft shades and dark wood.
Cowshed products were developed for use in dedicated Cowshed spas (the original was at Babington House in Somerset). All are made from organic, fair-trade ingredients, free from parabens and sulphates and are divided into groups: the Moody Cow range, for example, aims to lift the spirits, while Knackered Cow promises to help you unwind and relax. I’ve opted for a full-body Moody Massage.
Step by step
My masseuse, Maryanne, leads me to the Cowshed treatment room where she asks me to choose a massage oil – I opt for the Moody scent, with frankincense and rose geranium. I then don the (bright pink!) paper pants and lie on the massage table as Maryanne gets to work. She’s tentative at first, yet anxious to please, asking several times whether I’m comfortable, yet she soon gets into the swing of things: for the next 60 minutes she kneads, rubs and stretches my aching muscles with a thorough yet relaxing massage. The products are refreshing and pleasantly scented, avoiding the cloying fragrance of some spa products.
An hour later, I feel happily dozy, if a little greasy from the oil. Maryanne’s polished technique has loosened the knots from my shoulders and eased the aches in my calves from my gym session the previous day, and I leave invigorated yet relaxed.
• The Cowshed oils smell great, and it’s good to know they’re free from artificial nasties.
• The venue is small yet friendly, and feels more personable than some of the larger, slightly faceless hotel spas.
• The convenient location at The Dubai Mall means you can stop by post-shop for some rejuvenation.
• The spa is small, so there’s no post-treatment relaxation area, although you can sit at the refreshment bar for a quick drink after your massage.
• A small niggle, maybe, but my massage table squeaked annoyingly during the treatment. A dab of grease would hopefully banish the squeak to avoid disrupting the soothing mood.
Enjoy a chocolate facial at this Media City spot.
From Dhs500 for 60 minutes. Al Shatha Tower, Media City (04 369 0902).