Jenny Hewett tests the back massage and Shellac mani-pedi at new Beach Road spa De La Mer
A back, neck and shoulder massage will ease tension in the upper body, while the Shellac mani-pedi that follows should glam up my nails and last around two weeks.
Step by step
After a thorough tour of this homely-feel villa-turned-spa, first comes a calming foot soak, then the therapist begins working my back and shoulders with firm yet forgiving pressure: I don’t wince once. My hands and feet then undergo a much-needed transformation with the application of long-lasting Shellac nails in the nail salon.
I immediately feel de-stressed, polished and preened with my new set of vamp-hued nails. The staff here have been hand-picked and it shows, they’re experts at each of their trades and I make a note to recommend the spa to my friends.
• The staff are friendly and skilled.
• The post-treatment homemade ginger tea and lightly salted carrot and cucumber sticks are tasty.
• There’s parking inside the villa, so you don’t have to worry about finding a spot on Beach Road.
• The treatment rooms can get a little stuffy.
• The Shellac mani-pedi wasn’t done simultaneously as my therapist had a last-minute appointment to attend to first.
Dhs70 back, neck and shoulder massage for one hour. Dhs230 Shellac mani-pedi. De La Mer Spa, Jumeirah Beach Road, Umm Suqeim 2 (04 328 2775).