Jenny Hewett tries the hair treatment and cut at new DIFC salon Y-12
A combination hair treatment that will hydrate split ends and add shine, while the haircut will blend my ombre ends and add layering to give my style more shape.
Step by step
I’m immediately relaxed when I enter this hip DIFC salon and spot the edgy haircuts on both co-owner Luca and his stylists. I’m convinced this is where Dubai’s hipster crowd will soon congregate. A shine define and hydrate infusion mask is applied to my hair to moisturise dry, brittle ends and create gloss. The steamer is then placed over my hair and a drawstring is tightened around my forehead to allow the heat to penetrate the hair for ten minutes. Once it’s washed off chatty Italian co-owner and stylist Luca (formerly of Toni & Guy in London) begins cutting my hair, informing me he’ll add layers to even out my ombre colour before using a flat iron tool to give my hair romantic Mad Men-esque curls, pulled to one side.
I’m especially impressed with the knowledge of trends. Perhaps because I don’t brush my hair everyday it’s difficult to see any shine after more than two days, but the cut rids my hair of weight and is more manageable.
• Very friendly team with their fingers on the pulse when it comes to current trends, meaning you’ll get a cut that’s way above the rest.
• The salon is open on Fridays.
• They sell the latest hair-craze products, such as Colour Bugs, and use top hair tools including Cloud Nine wands and Parlux blow-dryers.
• Seats were a tad uncomfortable.
• It could do with handbag hooks.
Dhs575 for combination hair treatment and cut with senior stylist. Currently running a promotion of 20 percent off for new clients. Y-12, Ritz-Carlton, DIFC (04 372 2712).