Penelope Walsh tries the So Spa Experience at So Spa at the new Sofitel The Palm.
A two-hour package with two of the spa’s signature treatments, the So Exhilarating full-body massage and So Rejuvenating facial.
Step by step
I’m welcomed to the spa with a cold towel and lemon mint welcome drink, while checking in for my treatment. I change into the disposable bra tube and underwear provided along with a dressing gown and then my therapist Tina gives me a tour of the spa facilities. Inside the treatment room, the experience begins with a footbath using a refreshing mix of coconut milk and peppermint oil. Lying down, I’m covered with several cosy blankets. The therapist begins with the full-body massage, and retains a soothing ambience by speaking in soft tones. Uniquely, the treatment includes a ‘sweet surprise’ of honey, dropped directly in to my mouth, which is amusing and pleasant. The treatment continues with a tailored hour-long facial. This includes an anti-ageing facial using a pinching technique and Anne Semonin products. Afterwards, I relax with a healthy cup of tea, nuts and water.
The massage leaves me feeling thoroughly relaxed and ‘de-knotted’, and the facial has a noticeably positive effect on the tone and brightness of my skin.
• The therapist was extremely knowledgeable and skilled.
• The entire experience felt like a rejuvenating treat.
• The treatments had a genuine and noticeable effect.
• Although the package costs a lot, it is still decent value for the experience, time and effect if you want to treat yourself.
• The sensation of the anti-ageing pinching technique is a bit painful, but effective.
Dhs950 for 120 minutes. So Spa, Sofitel the Palm, Palm Jumeirah (04 455 5433).