Jenny Hewett listens to jazz while trying a gelish mani-pedi and back and shoulder massage at Snob Salon
This new salon and beauty boutique on Al Wasl Road provides hair, make-up and nail services in a girlie, retro setting.
I arrive at reception and am seated in the nail area, where five chairs await pampered ladies-to-be. The attention to feminine detail here is immediate: pretty mint floral wallpaper lines the walls, giving the room a vintage feel, while nail technicians wear matching beige ensembles with lace pockets. I opt for a gelish mani-pedi, as chipped polish drives me mad. As the mani-pedi gets underway, a therapist tucks behind my chair and begins the half-hour back and shoulder massage, which exceeds expectations. Though the results of the mani-pedi are to standard, the procedure doesn’t include the hand and foot scrub step, so I can’t help but feel like something’s missing. My colour looks immaculate once finished and I leave feeling chipper and preened to perfection.
Overall, I’m impressed with the quality of the gelish mani-pedi and the fact the friendly nail therapists ask whether I would like more than two coats
• The salon tunes have to be best in the city: think Doris Day and other jazz greats.
• The mani-pedi is flawless, though I notice peeling on one nail five days later.
• The AC vents point directly at two seats in the nail area, so make sure you sit on one of three on the side.
• The mani-pedi took a little longer than I’m used to – almost two hours by the time I left.
• Prices are a little steep.
Dhs290 for Gelish mani-pedi; Dhs100 for half-hour back and head massage. Snob Salon, Villa 677b, Al Wasl Road (04 338 6600).