In a bid to de-frizz, Ashley Lane undergoes the Keratine treatment at The Ritz-Carlton DIFC’s Y-12 Salon.
Otherwise known as a Brazilian Blow-out, this hair treatment aims to iron out even the most unruly hair types.
Step by step
When I arrive, I’m immediately greeted by the staff and offered a choice of tea, coffee or water. Luca, the manager, comes over to discuss whether or not this treatment is suitable for my hair. Once we’ve decided that it is, he quickly explains the process and hands me over to the hair stylist. My hair is then shampooed and left to sit for ten minutes before it’s rinsed out and I’m treated to a chair massage. The stylist then spends the next half an hour applying the treatment to the roots of my hair, where my curls are growing out and my hair needs the most attention. He then spends the next part of an hour meticulously blow-drying and then flat ironing my hair in very small sections. My hair is then rinsed again, without shampoo, and a two-minute moisture mask is applied before they blow-dry and style my hair for a final time.
I leave with soft, straight, manageable hair, which should last for around two months. Overall, I’m impressed – not just by the quality of the treatment, but by the professionalism and attention to detail from the staff.
• The salon is immaculate and the staff are super friendly.
• Even the next day my hair feels soft and silky and is completely manageable to style on my own.
• The salon is currently offering a discount on Keratine.
• Some of the chemicals used in this treatment are quite damaging, something that Luca is 100 percent honest about from the beginning.
• The entire treatment can take anywhere between two-four hours to complete, so set aside plenty of time.
From Dhs1,200. Y-12 Salon, The Ritz-Carlton DIFC, Gate Village (04 372 2222).