Jenny Hewett heads to vintage-themed Marquee Salon to get her hair styled and nails preened.
The retro-style salon specialises in Old Hollywood styling and blow-dries while The Nail Spa, adjacent, also offers mani-pedis in the salon.
Step by step
After briefing the friendly Italian stylist that we’re attending an event that night and need a sleek, sultry ’do to suit, she gets to work on washing our tresses. The seats at the basins are a novelty in themselves: they lie completely flat, which means you won’t cramp your neck. Our hair is blow-dried before she starts creating vintage waves to one side. Meanwhile, peach juice and a macaron are served, while the manicurists begin preening our hands and feet. We’re turned 90 degrees from the mirror, so we can’t see what’s going on, but we catch a few peeks as she diligently adjusts each hair and holds it in place with hair spray.
We leave feeling pleased that we had been given exactly what we asked for. Compliments fly all evening and our mani-pedi lasts a good four days.
• The stylists are experts in executing retro styles and cuts.
• The mani-pedi was great quality and the results lasted almost a week.
• The salon is small and has a cosy, intimate feel.
• The welcome juice and macaron are a nice touch.
• It’s in Arabian Ranches, so a little far out. That being said, there is a new branch now open in The Lakes.
Dhs300 for styling, Dhs170 for mani-pedi. Marquee Salon, Arabian Ranches Golf Club (04 420 7700).