If your exercise and eating plans went out the window over the festive period, don’t fret, because January is the time to get back on top, and once you’ve started exercising properly again you’ll soon get used to an endorphin high that you won’t be able to live without. Last year, the Dubai Health Authority claimed that only 19 per cent of the city’s population do the right amount of exercise to stay healthy – a dismal figure by anyone’s standards. Feel like you could be sitting in the remaining 81 per cent? Don’t worry; we’ve come up with 11 fun ways to get fit that won’t hurt your wallet, plus five great running routes and five original classes, all outdoors – so you can make the most of January’s deliciously cool temperatures, while toning up.Use outdoor exercise machines
Al Barsha Pond Park is a hidden gem, and though it is becoming popular with Barsha’s families, it’s still fairly quiet. Dotted around the circumference of the park’s large pond (as you can see, the name doesn’t lie) there are a number of free outdoor exercise machines, which are ideal for varying up your keep-fit routine. As well as good value bicycle, pedal car and go kart hire (Dhs50 refundable deposit, Dhs20 per bike, two-seater kart Dhs20, four-seater kart Dhs40), there are also tots’ playgrounds, larger climbing walls, balance boards and monkey bars (no contact details).
For 5 to try: Dubai running routes, click here
5 to try: cheap outdoor classes, click here