Throughout November Westin Hotels is laying on a wellness extravaganza for the whole family, and as part of that a new nutritious, healthy menu is available for little diners.
Thanks to some help from a variety of experts from doctors and dentists to dieticians, there is now a special kid-friendly menu on offer, and there's not a nugget, hot dog or pizza in sight!
Reducing sugar – and avoiding the inevitable sugar high – is just one of the focuses along with introducing healthy fats, such as Omega three, into their diets.
Fancy giving some healthy recipes? These three recipes will be a huge hit with even the fussiest of eaters – phew!
Here are some simple, clean recipes from Westin’s Eat Well Menu for Kids to help reduce sugar and inject more healthy fats into their nutrition, helping them to be their happy, energised selves.
1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup low fat milk
1 tbsp. honey
1.5 cups ice
1 orange slice
1 strawberry (sliced)
3.5 tbsp. ground flaxseed
1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
1. Pour into a glass or plastic beaker to serve.
2. Garnish with the sliced strawberry, the raspberries and the orange slice.
3 tbsp. raisins
3 tbsp. roasted sliced almonds
1 ½ tsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. sunflower seeds
3 tbsp. dried cranberries
¼ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
½ cup Large flake rolled oats
3 tbsp. wheat germ
3 tbsp. wheat bran
3 tbsp. oat bran
1 cup low fat milk
1 cup low fat yogurt
¼ cup honey
1. Place rolled oats, wheat germ, wheat bran and oat bran in an air tight container.
2. Mix in the yogurt and milk, then put the lid on and let it sit in the fridge for eight hours.
1. Place roasted rolled oats in a bowl.
2. Place 1 oz. of each ingredient into small containers (raisins, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, brown sugar, vanilla yogurt, honey).
3. Let kids add the ingredients they fancy to their oats.
SALMON WITH SOBA NOODLES
8 oz. salmon fillets
1 carrot cut julienne
3 green onions cut julienne
6 oz. soba noodles
1 red pepper cut julienne
4 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 slice fresh ginger cut julienne
1.5 tbsp. light soy sauce
5 tbsp. orange juice
Cilantro to garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F (205C).
2. In a small fry pan toast sesame seeds and cool.
3. Cut parchment paper twice the size of salmon fillets
4. Place salmon fillets in the middle of the parchment paper and place vegetables and ginger on top of each salmon fillet.
5. Drizzle the sesame oil and orange juice over the salmon fillet and season with salt and pepper.
6. Carefully fold the parchment paper over the salmon and seal the edges.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
8. Cook noodles until they are al dente.
9. Remove the salmon fillet from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before opening.
1. Place the salmon fillet and vegetables on top of the noodles then pour over the juice from the parchment paper.
2. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, lemon slice and sprig of Cilantro.
Westin Wellness Domes across Dubai and Abu Dhabi, www.wellnessbywestin.com