Sound mind, sound body. We all want what’s best for our families when it comes to health and nutrition, but there’s no magic formula for it!
Mums can, however, ensure that their families follow a healthier diet and lifestyle and here are five easy ways to do so from Nestlé Middle East Nutritionist Joumana Dabbagh:
1. Aim to eat a healthy diet, moderate in fat, sugar and salt to maintain a healthy weight and protect your heart. Try healthier cooking by stir-frying, grilling or roasting food in the oven. With a little culinary creativity, you can easily turn the nutritious into the delicious.
2. Enhance your immunity with a healthy eating plan rich in immune-boosting foods. Choose whole grains, add onion and garlic, enjoy fatty fish and don’t forget the iron-rich beans.
3. Ensure adequate water intake. On average, you should be drinking at least eight glasses of water daily. Try to increase your fluid intake by eating your water through the consumption of veggies and fruits that have high water content. These include cucumbers, tomatoes and watermelons.
4. Make smart food choices. Review food labels whenever you shop for groceries, checking nutritional facts on products. Always look out for information on the per serving amount of saturated fat, trans fat, added sugars, cholesterol, sodium and other ingredients that can raise health concerns.
5. Find your balance between food intake and physical activity. Fitness and physical activity, along with proper nutrition, are important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Exercising for 30 to 45 minutes, three to five times a week, can help you tremendously!
Stay healthy mamas!